Subcompact 9MM

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dixiejacket, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dixiejacket

dixiejacket New Member

Looking for everyone's recommendation on a subcompact 9mm. I've looked at the Glock 26 but didn't like the feel. Looking for a good IWB carry and like the thiness of the Taurus 709 or Ruger but wondered what everyone else thinks and would recommend?

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Are you looking for a slimmer pistol with a single-stack magazine (about 7 rounds?)
    Or do you want a pistol with a double-stack mag that holds more like 12 rounds, even though that will make the pistol a bit thicker in the grip?

I like the Kahr PM9 for a small flat 9mm.
    Kel-Tec makes one that's a lot less expensive with a longer, harder trigger pull but it's a small flat gun too.
    The new Ruger SR9 -SC looks good. I've never shot one but they feel good in my hand and I hear good things about them.

3. samurai

samurai New Member

Double stack- M&P9c
    Single stack- S&W 3913 or CS9 ( no longer in production, but can be found used.

4. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

I carry the double-stack Bereta PX4 9mm subcompact IWB in a comp-tach minotaur holster and like it.

5. dixiejacket

dixiejacket New Member

I prefer the single stack as I like the slimness. I have the KelTec P11 and a Taurus Millenium Pro and like both and have never had a single issue with either. There is just something in my mind though that bothers me with depending on a cheap gun for protection. Maybe that doesn't make sense but it does go through my mind. Maybe I'll look at the Ruger SR9-SC. Thanks1

6. SW_Sigma

SW_Sigma New Member

Kahr all the way.

7. 69953

69953 Guest

I've got over 1000 trouble-free rounds through my SR9C, and carry it everyday either AIWB, or IWB at 4 o'clock. If you don't like the feel of the G26, and want something with a slimmer grip, check it out. It's a comfortable shooter, it's accurate, and holds 10+1 with the flat baseplate. The trigger is like a glock, with a nice reset. And it's $100 less than the M&P and Glock.

8. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I love the Glock 26. Out of all the choices I have when I decide what to carry on a given day 90% of the time it's the 26. I know you said you don't like the grip, but perhaps a grip reduction job might make you like it a little more. Other than that I like the Kahr 9mms for a single stack carry gun.

9. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

Let's see... You have two nine millimeters that work fine with no problems, BUT because they didn't cost a fortune you don't trust them. You defiantly need to buy a Kahr. They really feel good in your hand and they are overpriced. I understand if you want a thinner pistol for concealment (about 1/4") but I don't understand the price of the weapon makes it better theory. At some price point quality does suffer, but IMO Taurus and Keltec are above that point.

10. niadhf

niadhf New Member

Send that P-11 on to me with a little cash and i will send you a M&P9c -- Just kidding. sorry.

To answer, i carry my P-11 or a snubbie, so i like those. I did get a M&P9c. Loved the feel of it. BUT find it shifts in my grip too much. Added A-grip. Now doesn't shift, just has a MA compliant trigger (read 10.5 lbs). So for me, i have gone back to the p-11 for a small nine (also have a G-19 for when size isn't as important). It just carries and conceals easily.
    However, if you like the single stacks and don't feel comfortable with the taurus or KT, as has been mentioned, KAHR, or for a slightly larger the old Smith metal frames. They are really nice pistols. Kahr has the polymer or metal frames, and there is always the Rorbaugh. Or 1911 design (both SA and DAO) 9mms.

Good luck shopping. Let us know what you get.

11. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

My next CC purchase may well be an SR9C! The SR9 is the most accurate firearm I own. I can consistently hit targets at 200+ yards with it, out of the box. That said, I also own a 709. It has to be the worst pocket carry I've ever owned! The trigger pull is a mile long, and feels like you'll need to drive the trigger through the frame to get a projectile down range. It's miserable! I've researched that the trigger pull is adjustable, but I've fully lost confidence in it. JMHO So, as to revolvers?

I'm beginning to think that a revolver is the answer to pocket carry. Now :flame: away!

12. dam294

dam294 Active Member

Yep. A PM9 might be a good option.

13. dixiejacket

dixiejacket New Member

Didn't say my thought process made sense, but I do want to have confidence in what I carry.
    I think part of my problem with the Keltec and the Taurus is the trigger pull. Just not real comfortable with that. I am currently choosing to carry the Keltec and will continue to do so while shopping.

14. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

There's a bunch of places right now that has a Sig P250 SubCompact on sale for $359. I haven't shot the P250 before, but I'd take a look at that.

Actually, does anyone here have experience with the P250C or P250SC? I'm thinking about getting one in 9mm or maybe .45ACP since they are so cheap. I just haven't had any exposure to the DAO Sigs.

15. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 New Member

Personally, I'm going to try a different route and probably will end up getting a Ruger LCR. Call me shameless, but if you're looking for a compact 9mm setup, I have a Taurus PT111 and Crossbreed Supertuck for sale. You can search my past comments on the PT111, but suffice to say, I would strongly recommend it if a double stack is what you end up wanting. It's a fantastic carry gun.

16. livesounder

livesounder New Member

200 YARDS???

With a sidearm???

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

(Unless, of course, the "target" is the broadside of a semi-trailer.)

17. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

yo dixie.....where are you located? I'm on the southside, in Peachtree City and usually shoot @ Autrey's Armory just north of Fayetteville. You're welcomed to try out my Kahr PM9 and CW9. The CW9 is about as tall and long as the XD9sc, but much thinner and much lighter. I've had an XD9sc and XD45c but these Kahrs carry all day much better. I also have a Kahr CW45 that's almost the same size as the CW9. They're all sweet shooters, IMO. If I can find the ideal pistol for my wife (if correcting her grip doesn't help first) I'd be williing to sell her CW9 for a fair price. Let me know.

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've shot mountains and lakes from 200 yards with a pistol all the time.
    One time I made a shot right into the middle of a river from a mountaintop 1/2 mile away. Long range shooting is no problem if you choose an appropriate-sized target.

19. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

I vote Kahr as well!
    I really like the CW9. A little larger but just about as thin as the PM9.

Also, something completely off the wall and a little hard to find (but probably next on my list) is a H&K P7. Everything I have heard and read about this little puppy makes me want one more and more.

20. j.HK

j.HK New Member

I have a P7. Yes, its nice and flat and shoots great but if I were to regularly carry a 9mm subcompact pistol, I'd probably go for a G26 or a XDMc. As with any pistol, go with the one that fits your hands and your needs the best.