Stupidity of Delta Airlines

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Phil1979, Mar 23, 2017.

1. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

*Delta Air Lines

/pedant

But this does sound fairly stupid. What do they do with someone who locks a firearm in a pistol case that they then place inside a larger bag to check? That's how I've checked my carry weapon in the past, although I haven't flown on Delta very recently.

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Someone should go read the BATFE rule on this because I seem to recall that they specify that no external identifier is to designate the bag as containing a firearm.

3. mog

mog Active Member

This guy ruins all credibility with "I miss Airtran" comment at the end.

It's not really identifying it as firearms though, no much more than perhaps, a "fragile" or "handle with care" sticker is it?

Now the zip tie thing, that just baffles me. Maybe so nobody goes crazy on the way out? Think about it, you just got off of a plane. You shouldn't have any cutters to remove the zip ties.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Unfortunately the uptick in the number of such stickers is going to alert the thieves that the airlines and airports have employed in their baggage handling department that its likely a gun. It will, effectively, ID it even if it does not say the word "Gun".

5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I miss them too. I always had excellent service from Airtran...

Delta on the other hand, is the airline that has screwed me on such a consistent basis I have vowed to never fly them again.

Delta = Don't Even Leave The Airport

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Except the nail clippers you just purchased for $0.79 on The Concourse.

Or the six inch Bowie knife in the side pocket of your checked luggage...

Uti is right. That bag might as well have a big gun sticker on it

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Or in your carry-on. Kind of a dumb policy change with no thought behind it.

8. mog

mog Active Member

When was that? Scroll down in the link for rankings...

https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/press_releases/dot20_17

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Delta is our airline of choice. We have had extremely few issues with them, and when we have, they have been issues beyond their control.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is this actual policy now? Has anybody confirmed it other than Mark Walter's article?

11. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I'll check with a Delta Captain I know to see if can get details. As far as the authors concerns about the new procedure, they are pure conjecture, the same type people on this forum accuse the Moms and others of. Just saying.

12. AtlPhilip

I disagree. I worked at UPS for five years and the high value packages were easy to spot. We knew it, and the criminals knew it.

13. mog

mog Active Member

But did you know what was in them?

14. AtlPhilip

Yes. Guns, jewelry, adult toys, and toupes were all conspicuously inconspicuous in their own unique way. Drugs were probably the hardest to spot in stream and the easiest to spot at drop off or pickup.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  15. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

[​IMG]

EDIT: Fixed link http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/26/melvin-lewis-dia-baggage-theft/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  16. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I miss Airtran... I always had great service from them.

Delta on the other hand, is the airline that screwed me the most consistently of any airline I have ever flown. When I worked at IBM it was their preferred airline, so I flew them a LOT. Never been involuntarily bumped, delayed, flights canceled, equipment changed (code for broken plane) or had more luggage damaged or lost in all my years of criss-crossing the country.

I avoid them like the plague and I'm almost a million miler.

17. mog

mog Active Member

If you knew what they were flying you wouldn't have stepped near a plane of theirs.

18. Janus

Janus Member

Recently flew to Tampa and back on Delta. The CAGPT tags both ways. Zip ties in Tampa. I pulled out a pair of small diagonal cutters( less than 7 inch long per TSA regs) and cut the zip ties in the baggage office and gave it to the agent with a smile. I told him it wasn’t my first rodeo.

Fully expected to do the same back in Atlanta, but found my bag on the carrousel.

19. Janus

Janus Member

I think this started as an answer to the incident, where a guy traveled to another city with a checked firearm. Loaded up, probably in a bathroom, and went on a shooting spree.

I guess Delta thinks that a nut case who carefully follows a plan to kill a bunch of people will be stopped by some zip ties.