Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
*Delta Air Lines

/pedant

But this does sound fairly stupid. What do they do with someone who locks a firearm in a pistol case that they then place inside a larger bag to check? That's how I've checked my carry weapon in the past, although I haven't flown on Delta very recently.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Someone should go read the BATFE rule on this because I seem to recall that they specify that no external identifier is to designate the bag as containing a firearm.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This guy ruins all credibility with "I miss Airtran" comment at the end.

Someone should go read the BATFE rule on this because I seem to recall that they specify that no external identifier is to designate the bag as containing a firearm.
It's not really identifying it as firearms though, no much more than perhaps, a "fragile" or "handle with care" sticker is it?

Now the zip tie thing, that just baffles me. Maybe so nobody goes crazy on the way out? Think about it, you just got off of a plane. You shouldn't have any cutters to remove the zip ties.

·
American
3,289 Posts

It's not really identifying it as firearms though, no much more than perhaps, a "fragile" or "handle with care" sticker is it?

Now the zip tie thing, that just baffles me. Maybe so nobody goes crazy on the way out? Think about it, you just got off of a plane. You shouldn't have any cutters to remove the zip ties.
Unfortunately the uptick in the number of such stickers is going to alert the thieves that the airlines and airports have employed in their baggage handling department that its likely a gun. It will, effectively, ID it even if it does not say the word "Gun".

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
I miss them too. I always had excellent service from Airtran...

Delta on the other hand, is the airline that has screwed me on such a consistent basis I have vowed to never fly them again.

Delta = Don't Even Leave The Airport

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Except the nail clippers you just purchased for $0.79 on The Concourse.

Or the six inch Bowie knife in the side pocket of your checked luggage...

Uti is right. That bag might as well have a big gun sticker on it

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Except the nail clippers you just purchased for $0.79 on The Concourse.
Or in your carry-on. Kind of a dumb policy change with no thought behind it.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,936 Posts
Delta is our airline of choice. We have had extremely few issues with them, and when we have, they have been issues beyond their control.

·
69,784 Posts
Is this actual policy now? Has anybody confirmed it other than Mark Walter's article?

·
Cross-drawer
7,320 Posts
I'll check with a Delta Captain I know to see if can get details. As far as the authors concerns about the new procedure, they are pure conjecture, the same type people on this forum accuse the Moms and others of. Just saying.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
As far as the authors concerns about the new procedure, they are pure conjecture, the same type people on this forum accuse the Moms and others of. Just saying.
I disagree. I worked at UPS for five years and the high value packages were easy to spot. We knew it, and the criminals knew it.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
But did you know what was in them?
Yes. Guns, jewelry, adult toys, and toupes were all conspicuously inconspicuous in their own unique way. Drugs were probably the hardest to spot in stream and the easiest to spot at drop off or pickup.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Daily suspects the neon orange "priority" tags affixed to their bags might have tipped someone off that they were travelers with higher value items in their luggage.
CBS4 has learned that an employee at Denver International Airport has been fired and charged with rifling through passengers' checked bags on three occasions, and stealing guns out of their luggage.
The worker, Melvin Deandre Lewis, 24, worked for Air Serv, a vendor that handles bags and other services for airlines. According to court documents and interviews, Denver police believe Lewis opened United Airlines passengers checked bags and stole firearms in April and on two occasions in May.

EDIT: Fixed link http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/09/26/melvin-lewis-dia-baggage-theft/

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
I miss Airtran... I always had great service from them.

Delta on the other hand, is the airline that screwed me the most consistently of any airline I have ever flown. When I worked at IBM it was their preferred airline, so I flew them a LOT. Never been involuntarily bumped, delayed, flights canceled, equipment changed (code for broken plane) or had more luggage damaged or lost in all my years of criss-crossing the country.

I avoid them like the plague and I'm almost a million miler.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is this actual policy now? Has anybody confirmed it other than Mark Walter's article?
Recently flew to Tampa and back on Delta. The CAGPT tags both ways. Zip ties in Tampa. I pulled out a pair of small diagonal cutters( less than 7 inch long per TSA regs) and cut the zip ties in the baggage office and gave it to the agent with a smile. I told him it wasn’t my first rodeo.

Fully expected to do the same back in Atlanta, but found my bag on the carrousel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think this started as an answer to the incident, where a guy traveled to another city with a checked firearm. Loaded up, probably in a bathroom, and went on a shooting spree.

I guess Delta thinks that a nut case who carefully follows a plan to kill a bunch of people will be stopped by some zip ties.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts