Stupid, movie or TV misinformation about guns

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by tace, May 25, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

I was watching Painkiller Jane the other day and they walk into this Army surplas store and bust them for selling what they call "semi-autos" . They were MP-5 PDWs. I was about to barf.

Its sad that the writers of the show about this super secret LE Org didn't even bother to check the simplest of gun laws.

Stack this one next to all the typical ones like Glocks passing through metal detectors and having a hammer/decocker.

/vent

2. Axeman

Axeman New Member

A few of my pet peeves are:

1.Everytime you see a cop or good guy with a gun they always have their stinkin' finger on the trigger! I understand bad guys and gangsta wantabes doing it cause they are supposed to be stupid but the good guys are supposed do the "right" things.

If hollywood is so concerned about accidental shooting and such they should atleast do a little good example.

2. Why is it they are always pointing and waving their guns with their fingers on the triggers and worse yet hitting people that way?!?

3. I get irrateded that everyone in all the movies and tv rack their slide before every gun battle, what is even more rediculous is when they have already been engaged in a gunfight pause and re rack the slide and no round comes out.

:rant:

3. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I don't know if we have enough bandwidth to list all of the movie/TV misinfo on firearms.

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I usually focus on the grip. It's normally the "teacup & saucer" style or one hand gripping the wrist to hold it steady.

5. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

my ex and I loved watching movies to pick out everything wrong... especially army ones where we would see sgts wearing officer ranks, blah, blah, blah

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What about when a Glock runs out of ammo and clicks for 5 or trigger pulls like a revolver.

Also don't forget about about the guns that need to be reloaded.

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Guns on TV don't need to be reloaded.

I've always thought it was odd how on television there are all these pitched gun battles and when it's over, the people involved just carry on normal conversations with each other like nothing happened. In real life after firing a few rounds, especially an AK or larger pistol calibers, especially firing indoors, without hearing protection people should be like "Hey, great shooting!"... "What?".... "I SAID GREAT SHOOTING".... "WHAT?"

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

We could write a book just on the misinformation from 24.

9. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I liked the teflon coated "cop-killer" bullets in one of the Lethal Weapon movies that were able to pierce the bucket of an earth mover and still have enough energy to kill the guy on the other side, all fired from a handgun no less!

Not to worry, guns aren't the only thing the movies get wrong. (Come to think of it, they get most things wrong.) Watching movies about cars or racing tends to be quite disturbing. It's really bad when your mom doesn't know the difference and buys you a copy of Driven for your birthday...

10. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Anything from CSI: Miami.

They have no clue about the laws in Florida. They constantly talk about "gun registration" - which Florida doesn't have.

The other two CSI shows do it too, just not to that extent.

I love the movies / tv shows where a bad guy racks a pump shotgun...and then a few minutes later, racks it again (w/o having fired) for "dramatic license" and no shell pops out. I'd love to see a movie where a bad guy did that...the good guy realizes it isn't loaded, and jumps the dude and takes him out. Then explains how he knew... 8)

11. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

I also don't understand why the folks in movies leave perfectly good guns lying around. You know if you kick the bad guy's butt take his weapon and extra ammo. Don't just leave it there.

12. tace

tace New Member

yes, that has been one of my biggest pet peeves since I was a kid.

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

+100, I am always the guy yelling "Pick up the da** MP5, you idiot!"

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I agree. I saw a recent episode where a female CSI detective was questioning a suspect. All of a sudden she pulls her gun (to the best of my memory), orders him to turn around, and pulls a gun from his waist without a holster. He says, "I've got a concealed carry permit for that!" I don't remember whatelse happened. It turned out he wasn't the perp but I don't think it showed "us" in a good light.

On a second note it always burns me that they talk about gun registration in Florida.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Are you try to say that your county dosn't have Crown Vic police cars that can out run a Ferrari, like they can on TV?

16. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I hate when after a gun battle the character throws down his/her loaded gun on the ground, like they were ashamed to have used it in the first place, and walks away. I'm thinking "you moron you just thrown away your lifesaver"...

17. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

You may be a bit surprised to know, Ferrari's are not all that. They're actually pretty crappy. A decent driver in a Crown Vic can stay with a numb-skull thug in an Italian hot-rod long enough to scramble a chopper or wait for him to do something stupid and crash himself. (True story: I once raced and beat my roommate at an autocross. I was driving my $227 crappy Mercury DiSable; He was driving my Porsche 944 in perfect working order.) The new Chargers the GSP has can take most sports cars on the top end, the can even stay close to the 600cc bikes if traffic will allow.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

My pet peeve is hearing someone "cock" their Glock before they shoot. It is so lame.