Student searched for posting on calguns

Discussion in 'In the News' started by budder, Sep 6, 2007.

1. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I was just on THR and read these posts from a calguns thread:
    http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s ... 6&t=300731

The short version is that a student (non-traditional, I think) was seen posting on calguns and a call was made to the PD with a bunch of misinformation or with suspicions that became claims by the time the officers were sent to get him. He was pulled out of class, searched, then had his bag searched (after making the cops get a telephone warrant), and guess what? He didn't have any weapons on him. Surprise, surprise.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Malum Prohibitum

Mistake Number 1.

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Guess I need to be careful about who sees me at school reading this forum or others. Combine that with the big orange button attached to my backpack and I guess that will be all the probable cause they need to search my person and belongings. :roll:

5. Malum Prohibitum

:-k

6. misawa

misawa New Member

I've honestly been waiting for someone at my school to phone me in. Between my GeorgiaCarry shirt, talking with other students, professors, and (gasp!) university police officers about guns, there's plenty of opportunity to call it in. It just gives me an opportunity to educate.

7. Malum Prohibitum

:shock:

8. Malum Prohibitum

:lol:

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I dare them to try and search me.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I don't read this at school, either.

11. budder

I don't know, but it's an interesting topic, so I thought I would let you guys read it and see what you think.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'd have NOT consented to a damn thing and told them to eff their tele-warrant and get me a hard copy signed by a judge.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Yeah, Rammstein, we know. :D

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I read GPDO from school all the time. Of course I run all my data through encrypted proxies on a web browser on a usb drive...so they'll never see it on the school servers.

15. budder

Ramm: campus ninja. :ninja:

16. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Really now?

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:wink:

18. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Telephone warrant? They allow those in CA?

19. budder

Are they not allowed in some states? Are they allowed here?

20. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

You can't simply call a judge and request a warrant. An officer must personally appear before a judge and present an affidavit under oath. The judge either signs it or not. Other states may allow warrants by telephone but not here. I think there are some places in metro Atlanta that use some sort of teleconferencing that is actually at the courthouse though.

It is possible that another officer was at the courthouse obtaining a warrant and called the officers on scene when it was obtained; however, a copy of the warrant should have been given the individual. We are required to either give a copy of the warrant to an actual person or leave it in a "conspicuous" place if no person is there. Furthermore, a warrant return must be filed with the court within 10 days listing any and all items seized.