Student held without bond for bringing weapons to school

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jrm, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

A 17-year old Fayette County high school student was charged with six felonies and three misdemeanors for having a 4-in switchblade in his pocket and a sword, two rifles, two handguns and some ammunition in his car on the first day of school.

He was denied bond, even though he made no threats to anyone and did not display the weapons (he was searched in the principal's office on an anonymous tip). He will remain in jail at least until his preliminary hearing in September.

He said he used the guns and knife for hunting and target practice.

The Fayatte County DA said handguns and knives aren't used for hunting. :shock:

Great way to start the school year.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

These victimless crimes (no property was damaged or lost, no one was injured or even threatened) simply don't merit being held without bond. Crimes of possession, with no accompanying intent to do more, just are not that severe. This guy's school year is gone, and for what purpose?

Oh yeah, it's for the children (of which he is one).

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I sometimes leave my handgun behind while hunting, but I never leave me knife behind.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The news reports on this sounded like he showed up on this one special day with all of these weapons.

The news article today states that apparently he was coming to school like this last year, too, but the police did not hear about it until June 8, when school had ended.

So, what is an officer to do?

Investigate?

No, way! The police wait until the first day of school, so they can search based on an unsubstantiated tip (really, read the article where they say "We could not just drive out to his house on an unsubstantiated tip"). Then, they do not stop him on his way into school to question him. Rather, they let him go into school, settle into class, and then have the principal call him up to the office.

Yeah, they really thought he was about to shoot up the school.

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Great... I'm sure someone will cite this as an example of when "gun free schools" has worked.

No bail, are they afraid he's going to to do a columbine masacre at the school?