Student Gunman Holding Up to 10 Hostages in California High

Discussion in 'In the News' started by pro2am, Sep 28, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Aren't there laws against this?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Student Gunman Holding Up to 10 Hostages in California H

Apparently not, because he did it anyway. California needs laws against kidnapping, unlawful possesion of firearms, discharging firearms, and gun free school zones. The school should have at least had a zero tolerance for firearms, that would stop this from ever happening. :roll:

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

When I saw this on the news half hour or so ago, I said out loud "If only one of those now-victims was allowed to carry there...". My friend just changed the channel.

4. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

CNN

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

All 6 schools in the district? Overreaction?

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No they were doing it for the safety of the children. With California I am surprised the all the schools in the entire city/state did not go on lockdown.

7. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

What does this dept have to do with anything in this scenario?

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

They were bored.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl:

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Lockdown can mean different things. In this case the schools in the district probably locked all outside doors and screened all that entered while the school day carried on as usual inside. They weren't under desks in the fetal position.

Sometimes multiple schools occupy the same plot of land. I doubt all six did but in case things were to spill out it is best to be pro-active at other schools in the immediate area.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh ok. Why not just do that in the first place. Keep the outside doors locked and screen visitors like normal. I'm not talking max security prison. But, if the students have to be pseudoprisoners....I really have NO idea where I'm going with this.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I do, what the Doc is describing is exactly the way my school functioned after 9am everyday. This was more than 10 years ago at a public school. Once you were officially "tardy" the only doors that worked from the outside were the ones to the "office" and the one to the lunch room where they took the late excuses.

So the question is: are they saying lockdown as in they did nothing else out of the ordinary and are just saying it because it sounds like they did something, or lockdown as in the kids were kept in the same room the entire time instead of changing classes - lockdown.

13. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Before the VT shooting, I never even heard of the term "lockdown" applied to a school or college campus. Seems to me that it's one of those powerful words the media likes to use frequently to attract attention to a specific event. It's the same thing when they report that someone got killed "execution-style" instead of saying "shot in the back of the head" or just "executed". I think the media just choose specific words in their reporting to heighten the impact of the story. And in that way they influence the perception and the vocabulary of the general public. :-k

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I heard of lockdown in high school. I think it happened a couple times, :roll: For some reason or another.

15. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

my mom is a teacher in NC and they have had lockdown protocols for about 6 yrs. they use levels depending on threat assesment. all doors stay locked all the time and only once did they call for a red lockdown and that is when an escapee crashed a car into the school across the street. they are right across the street from a FD/PD and for a red the cops come in about a min. I think that district has an excellent reaction plan and they train for it. you can't stop stupid though.