Student conferences?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by viper32cm, Oct 10, 2006.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I am very involved with a state sponosred middle & high school organization. Throughout the course of the year I attend at least two conferences with the group to help them out. While I'm at these conferences I am either at the conference site, at the hotel where the kids are staying, and away from the conference with others around my age (23). I know that I'd be ok carrying when I'm not at the conference, but what about being there?

I don't think I'd have a gun on me at the conference site, but at the very least I'd like to have it in my car (for protection during the trip to and from).

My gut tells me that I'd get in a load of trouble for this, but I figured I'd ask to get some outside opinion.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It doesn't sound like a school.

It doesn't sound like the public gathers there.

There's the sticky (and unanswered) question of alcohol being sold for consumption on the premises of many hotels (both in bars and restaurants and from mini bars in rooms), but I can't help but think that only the actual restaurant or bar area would get you a conviction.

I would not assume the conference to be off limits, assuming it is not in a publicly owned or operated building.

3. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Of the two hotels we stay at only one has a restaurant that serves alcohol. I don't go in it (it's overpriced).

As for the buildings I think one of them is publicly owned. Though I'm not sure.

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Since it involves a school organization it might very well border on a "school function" thus making it offlimits. I will provided the pertinent language from the statute and let you decide. But that's my:2cents: anyhoo.

16-11-127.1. Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property.

(b) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon ...

5. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That raises an interesting question. What if Joe GFL Holder was staying at the hotel where these conferences are held, does he inadvertently violate the law here?

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

You could always say that you dopped off a student for the conference and now your waiting around to pick him up. :D

7. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Well I suppose you could always go under the logic of, if don't give anyone cause to find out you have a gun, no one ever will.

But if SHTF then you might be screwed after all. Though if a GFL holder was able to effectively intervene on the behalf of students while in a "restricted zone" then that might make a good case to have the laws changed.

8. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

Not as screwed as you might be if the SHTF and you're totally unarmed.

This approach seems to work for many people in many places. Just make sure you're wearing whatever your 'deep-cover', 'must-not-be-made' rig. For me, this would definitely include either a jacket or a shirt that could be worn untucked.

Good luck!

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Elect for a smaller weapon and deeper cover.

I have a personal opinon on the 'grey' areas such as this.

1) Make sure it's concealed. Usually I don't give two ****s if I'm printing or not... I just don't. I don't try to make sure everyone can see a big pistol grip bulge on the side of my shirt, but if it's somewhat noticeable, in my opinon, people won't notice it. People, including cops, just don't look for guns. With the big cellphone/pda's making a comeback, that's what most people think it is... if they even stared that close to even notice. Only thing I'm conscious of is bending over if the bottom of my holster would be visible. If it's a 'grey' area, elect for smart carry or something with a lesser probablity of printing.

2) Don't call attention to yourself. 99% of cops won't mess with you unless they have a reason. If nobody sees your piece, there goes 99% of your problem. If the other 1% arises, you can always act professional, show your GFL and then you have the fact that 99% of cops dont even know CCW laws anyways, and unless you are being an ass, why mess with the paperwork? Then you have the other 1% where you might need to use it... then who cares about the legal issues.. it's about self-preservation at that point.

The last thing you need is to walk around shaking and checking your IWB holster every 5 seconds wondering if you're going to be "made". Make the decision to carry or not and if you do carry, don't telegraph it through paranoia. Personally, I'll take my chances with the grey areas and trust that the police will be prudent and fair.. not fascists. I'll keep a little in the bank just in case it ever goes to court.

10. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Discussions like this underline firmly in my mind the need to get either a Keltec P3AT, Keltec PF9, or Kahr MK9. My SP101 is small, but it's not pocket carry, and lets face it, sometimes you NEED pocket carry.

Quite frankly I don't think this should even be an issue if it was in my car. I know legally that may not be the case (in this fact pattern).

Ugh, all the more reason to change our crap laws.