Student arrested with handguns

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by scottypp, Aug 26, 2007.

1. scottypp

scottypp New Member

from www.macon.com

A Georgia College & State University student was arrested Thursday night on charges of firearm possession on campus.

Wesley Tyler Crafton, 22, was charged with three counts of possessing firearms on school grounds after Georgia College police, who were responding to an anonymous tip, found three loaded handguns and several boxes of ammunition in Crafton's vehicle, according to a Georgia College news release.

Police received the tip at about 10 p.m. and immediately responded to Foundation Hall, a residence building where Crafton was located, according to a release.

Crafton now is in custody of the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office and has been placed on suspension from the university pending a hearing, Georgia College Spokesman Bryan Jackson said.

As part of his suspension, Crafton has been barred from university property.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I wonder if was going to the range after class.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:roll:

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

16-11-127.1 at work again :evil:

[​IMG]

5. tace

tace New Member

GSUsnake??? :shock:

6. oxfat

oxfat Member

I think snake's out of Statesboro, isn't he? Georgia Southern University?

7. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

It's fairly obvious to me that someone snitched. I would guess he pissed off a 'buddy' who had ridden in the car before and the 'buddy' called the po po.

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Is an 'anonymous' tip enough to get a search warrant? I would imagine someone would have to testify they saw/knew something.

9. merlock

merlock Active Member

[/quote:3m58hkd5]
    You're probably right on this. :x

10. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Nope, not him... gsusnakes's first name is Jake... as in Jake the snake... (he published this in a different thread)

11. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Students don't have Constitutional rights.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:(

13. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

No warrant needed if consent was given for the search.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

The consent was given for the apartment. But, I imagine if he consented to a search of his apartment, he would also consent to a search of his vehicle. However, what does the confiscation of ammo in the apartment have to do with things directly?

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

:roll:

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The update said the student was from Kennesaw. Is that a defense?

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is just sad. Obviously, the man wanted to be a police officer after graduation. Now he has been arrested on a felony.

18. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

What's the answer to this?
    To what extent does the anonymous tipper have to know something? If I'm at school & tell one person (not a crowd that can corroborate each other) that "Heck yeah I keep my uber-nasty- porcelain-glock-7-shoots-through-schools-and-brings-down-airplanes gun in my car" and that person relates this discussion to authorities can they get a warrent? Does it take 1st hand proof - someone sees me disarm & put my gun in the glove box before heading into class?

Obviously no one is going to search my car without a warrent so when are they going to be able to get said warrent. How many times am I going to have to ask "Am I free to go officer"? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

19. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The answer for a student is don't take a gun on campus. Its illegal and you will be charged. There are some exemptions for others but they don't apply to students. (except LEO)

The long term solution is to change this stupid law, but thats going to be an uphill battle.