Stranger at the Door, Your options

Discussion in 'In the News' started by S&W 40, Mar 23, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Had a incident several years ago about 2 in the AM doorbell rings and it is a drunk (?) young lady looking for John. I informed her that there was no John at this house... Last year same young lady early morning looking for the same John, gave the same answer but also pointed out that she had done the same thing a couple years ago.... Tonight early evening my wife answers the door and same situation. :shock:

Question is if you are in your own home and answer your door can you with shotgun/pistol inhand not holster? What could LEO do other than disrupt your quite street at o dark thirty with lights and several cars ripping into your yard.....man with gun call.

Not that I am to worried about this same situation just made me think about the friend around the corner of the house waiting for the door to open for a "nice young lady in need of help". And all you get is a home invasion...

2. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I imagine you'd be ok as long as you didn't point it at her (nevermind that a LEO could get away with that).

My neighbor told a story once. She said that she answered the door one day. It was a rather larger man selling newspaper subscriptions or some such thing. She told him no thanks and tried to close the door. At that point, the guy pushed the door open and began cursing at her and using racial slurs. I couldn't help but think about the "defense of habitation" statute and what might have happened if he tried that at my house. :shock:

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Late night? Gun in hand.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Most assuredly gun in hand these days.

Used to be collar in hand holding large canine at the ready. As we are dogless these days, Messrs. S&W are handling the door duties.

Of course, gun-in-hand doesn't mean gun-in-sight. Don't want to scare anyone unnecessarily...

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

My neighbor told me of a night awhile back when someone was banging on his door. He answered with his pistol in hand behind his back. The guy had the wrong house (obviously)...but he never knew that my neighbor was prepared for much worse. I think it's the prudent way to handle something like that.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Bingo.

7. maddog

maddog New Member

Hmmm I thought it was normal to have gun in hand after dark for unexpected knock at door .... maybe it's just me.

8. albundy

albundy New Member

extra cautious here

pistol in hand and i don't open the door, but i let who ever is on the other side know that if they need help that i am calling the police. Why open the door in the first place? No one I know will come knocking unexpected late at night.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Good point albundy.

10. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I have a neighbor at my mom's that is a 60s+ woman that lives alone and she answers with a shotgun after dark. the cops didn't care when we called them once for a prowler up at her house.

and yes the woman would and can shoot.

I myself would probably have it in hand but out of sight. esp since I am a pretty small female so I have to try harder if someone wants to fight... I usually don't open the door though. I can see them thru the window and if I don't know em I ain't even cracking the door...

my friend used to live in a rough part of town and thugs would bang on her door everynight asking for money... :shock: and this little chick had no gun, no dog, no boyfriend, just her and 3 cats.... needless to say she moved.

11. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

If I answer the door I have my pistol holstered or tucked in my back pocket. I'm still one of those people that will answer the door during the day if someone knocks. At night, it's a toss up... if I'm expecting someone I'll crack it open and see who it is. My hearing sucks, I would yell through the door if it didn't. Better safe than sorry. I wouldn't carry a shotgun to answer the door unless I was expecting zombies.

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

gun in hand at night.......

13. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead because this just happened to me.

I heard a knock around 10. I still had gun in holster from errands I ran earlier. I turned on the light and there was a stranger there. I opened the door with the door blocking me and hand on the gun still holstered. He said his van ran out of gas and did I have a small can he could buy from me. Although I was skeptical at first since I've read stories about scam artists around here suckering people to drive them to Autozone etc to get parts (and then ask you to borrow money to pay. Yes, some of my neighbors fall for that!) I saw his van (Appliance repair) at my neighbor's when I drove home so that much checked.
    I told him I had a can and some gas he could have and hold on as my basement isn't connected. I go turn on the back lights and go out with hand 'ready' at my side. Naturally I lock the front door back. He goes down the steps to the front lawn and says his knee is hurting him from a surgery. I tell him I'll go get the gas can and rather firmly to stay right there. I go to the basement and lock myself in while I fill up the gas can. I look through the window to make sure he's not there to surprise me and then open the basement door back with gun in hand. He's not there so I reholster and lock the basement back. He's where I told him to wait so we walk to his van and I turn down payment for the 1/3-1/2 gal I gave him and just asked for a card and for him to remember me if I ever needed any work done. So all in all a non-event but still I have a bit of adrenaline running through me.

The eye opening thing to me was I need to swap tires on my car and I had made the decision to leave the gun inside while crawling under the car in the garage. Had I done that a stranger could have walked up on me while I'm laying under the ground with poor visibility. :shock: Yet another reminder to never let your guard down.

On edit, I should have left the door chained and just cracked it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. :oops:

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Man, it's tough to help people out nowadays! I hear you!

At what point did we all become so paranoid?

I would have tried to help as well, but I would have stayed on guard, as you did. We shouldn't have to go through all of this. I bet 20 years ago, asking for a can of gas was just that... nothing nefarious.

I wonder where we went wrong? Hippies, perhaps?

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

My family had a belated Easter dinner this Sunday since my family was in California on the real Easter.

So we are sitting down and eating when my Aunt says "HEY! someone in all black just came around the walk way. When he saw us all eating dinner he turned back." So naturally, everyone at the table looks at the window...then they look at me. I had just finished cleaning my guns from the trip to the range earlier in the day, and had my Glock on my hip. My mother and I walk out through the garage and look around. We don't see anyone out there. And there is still day light left outside. Pretty odd. Either someone was there and ran really fast to get out of sight or my aunt drinks too much. The only other living thing that was walking around was a goose that a good three houses away.

I'll tell ya what though...it feels good not to have that small momentary panic of "where is my gun?!" It was right where it needed to be if something would have happened.

16. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

my parents have this problem all the time and their shop has been broken into countless times but I can't get my dad to take the tiny .22 rifle he has with him to investigate. yeah it ain't much but it is better than nothing...

i am taking him to the range when he comes... he just doesn't know it yet... my mom is ain't but he isn't so I figure I can get him hooked... heck I will buy him an inexpensive piece if he will use it.. him and my mom are not the young folks they used to be and I worry about them.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Interesting story pyromaster.

We all like to help others, but where do you draw the line between being a nice guy (or gal), and being paranoid? I always feel a little better talking to strangers at the door with a gun held behind my back and out of sight. Especially after dark!

While I don't want to scare any Girl Scouts or Wittnesses, I also don't want anyone pushing past me and threatening me or my wife. W/O a large dog, a pistol is a comforting item to have close at hand.

Of course, when I was a kid and even into my 30s, no one locked their doors. But, we didn't need to!

Things have changed just a bit...

19. maddog

maddog New Member

MP I don't think that your post would be considered relevant if it was in my own home, I could have just gotten done cleaning and reloading it.