strange noises in the night

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kaizer, Jul 18, 2007.

1. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I was reading this post over on another site, pretty good read but a little unnerving as I too live in the middle of nowhere and I have caught people in my driveway at 2a.m., fortunately I have a security cat that sees everything while my 210 lb dog sleeps.

But I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on what would make my house, or someone elses, look like an instant turn off to someone wanting to do harm.

I have a very large and increasingly protective dog. I make sure he gets walked down to the street every day at 5:30 to get the mail and hang out so everybody can have a look at the goods and personally I am not a small guy, about 210 with low bodyfat.

I guess my wife, who is paranoid, is finally getting into my head. I have the interior covered assuming I have wake up in time to react. But any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Here is the link:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=289497

The details of my encounters with people at my house are as followed:

1. Caught two guys at the bottom of my driveway that my wife almost hit at 2 a.m., the lights were off and the were sitting in the dark at about 170 m from my house but out of view of the road. She called me, I rolled up on them ready for battle. They were both pretty unsavory characters and claimed that there car wouldn't start. I will save you the rest of the details but the I FORCED them to attempt to start the car and it started right up. I let them know that if they ever came back we would not be having another conversation.

2. My freaking cat spots something in the woodline outside of my home one night at one in the morning. Whoever the guy was, he was stupid because when I came to the window he tried to move but moved quick enough that I picked up his movement. The dog was then released out into the yard to pull security while I retrieved the AR. The guy made it out of the yard before the dog got him, or the dog buried him really quick and came back. LEO informed, and nothing after that.

This all happened within a two week period last month.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Open carry that AR to the end of the driveway.

Tacticool AR's have a way of saying GTFO. 8)

3. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I have thought about it, but at the same time I don't want somebody coming up there trying to snake my firearms either, especially since I am trying to sell the gun safe on here.

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I read that entire thread kaizer and I have to agree with the posters who are telling that guy that it appears like he is being probed. I hope everything works out ok for him and his family.

As to your concerns, even if you don't have one, a sign showing a home security company's logo could be a deterrent. Of course, you could always invest in the real thing. If you do, I would suggest a service that has two way communication. Also additional lighting around the house on motion triggers might be called for. If you don't have metal core outer doors with good deadbolts, that is a good purchase as well. Others here might have some good ideas, but those are what I came up with off the top of my head.

5. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I have the doors, the lights and the sign. If they get through that they have to deal with the dog. If his mom is home, I would not wish that on anyone. I know for a fact that people venture up or around my home and take a look. I just want a really effective way to help them decide that they don't need to see whats up the hill, regardless of their intentions. I moved up here so people would leave me the hell alone, and it seems like we draw unwanted attention. For some reason all the yahoos down the street really want to know what is going on up here.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Trespasser will be shot sign?

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

+1

8. kaizer

kaizer New Member

What do you think the legal issues will be if I have one of those signs and end up having to defend myself. Think that would cause a fuss? I have thought about the signs though.

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've got a 1/4 mile of driveway leading to 7 acres and no neighbor close by that would notice anything short of a cannon going off. Given that I pop off rounds from time to time target practicing they wouldn't notice that either if it was during the day. I've got the home alarm signage up, soon to have the beware of dog signage (though I don't have a real guard dog my basset sounds like one :) ) and I just set up a driveway motion alarm so I can tell if anyone/thing comes up the drive. Not sure how it works so far but it seems like it's going to be ok. Unfortunately my house is anything but zombie proof - lots of ground floor windows and the front & back door are mostly glass. That's why I wanted the motion sensors. If anyone comes around I want to know they are there in time enough to grab the shotty from the bedroom if I'm feeling uncomfortable about em. Otherwise the g19 at hand will suffice for normal mailman appearing types.

10. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I posted late last night and my anxiety must be way up all of a sudden because I swore I heard something last night. Of course, the dog didn't wake up but I checked it out. It was a noise that I have never heard before. Needless to say, I did not go to sleep. I believe I am way paranoid at this point.

I would like to believe that anybody who would case my house would see the extremely large dog and decide that they would move on, but you never know.

I have a problem with lots of windows on the main floor as well. Plus a sliding glass door and a set of french doors. I am not a fan of either.

11. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Want to send a good message?

Anti-personell mines and HUGE spotlights! Maybe some barbwire just strewn about in a fort like manner... then you need a loud siren to wail when the mines are tripped.

I would make that mistake once and never return. :mrgreen:

12. kaizer

kaizer New Member

Sounds good...know where I can get some bouncing bettys?

13. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

I might know a guy that knows this guy that knew this lady who knew a dog that blew its paws off once... :ninja:

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sounds like you gave fair warning to me.

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I've had 4 strange knocks on the door tonight. The first one was about 11:30, and then in hourly or so intervals after that, but not regularly enough to have any sort of pattern.

The police have been notified, and it doesn't look like I'm sleeping much tonight... the one time I (loudly) answered a knock I heard a car speed off about 15 seconds later.

Police said they'd swing by every hour or so to "check things out." I let them know that I'm armed and will be spending a good bit of time on my front "porch" (sidewalk) smoking, while plainly and openly armed.

I almost wish somebody would try something on my house...

16. Corbomite

Corbomite New Member

I've had a few cases of things that go bump in the night. I have a couple of cats that go into spook mode when they hear a strange noise. I've had a couple of occasions where I've had to investigate with weapon at the ready.

The most recent one was about a month ago. I was just about to fall asleep and I hear this loud boom outside the house and the cats scatter. I crept into the hall way, lights out, and stopped to listen for movement. I heard loud shouting in the front yard and crept down to the front door. It sounded like a fight was going on until I peeked out the window. Guy had veered off the road into my yard and took a header into a mature pine in my front yard. Busted him up pretty good. Anyway, seems like I get a few of these types of scenarios a month where my adrenaline gets going.

One thing I do is hang my old targets up by entry windows/doors. I'm single so I can get away with this. You married folk are probably out of luck :)

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

We should take turns swinging by his place when he is gone & marrk em up & put sticky notes on them -
    "You're pulling to the right"
    "You jerked the trigger on this on. Squeeeeeeze gently!"
    "You were overcompensating for recoil here"
    "You just weren't expecting the BANG on this one were you. Tsk Tsk."

:lol:

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

How about a nice sign at the end of the driveway?

Kaizer's Kennel

Protection Dogs for Sale

Guard Dogs Trained to Attack Silently

DANGER - KEEP OUT

Not All of Our Dogs are Fully Trained
    and May Attack Without Warning or Provocation