Store manager asked for GFL .

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by JMJ2, Jul 29, 2007.

1. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

Today I went to autozone open carrying with shirt tucked in with my gun in a IWB holster; with just the hammer and grips showing. The store manager asked me if I had a GFL and to show it to him or I would have to leave. I told him I wouldn't be just walking around with a gun exposed if I didn't. This was the first experience I've had while open carrying; most of the time I conceal carry to avoid these types of issues.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

What was the result. Did you show it...or leave?

3. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

I showed my GFL and everything was cool with him.

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

"No thanks. I don't have to show it to you. If you would please point me in the direction of Advance Auto Parts, I'd appreciate it."

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I would have done what JMJ2 did and just show my GFL. At least the manager knew that OC was legal with a permit. Sure, it would have been easy to throw the law in his face and tell him to go to hell, but in the end, he would have been told to leave (and would have had to) and we, (GFL holders) would all probably look like turds.

Now if some random person in the store did so, it might be different. Still, I think I would take the chance to educate if at all possible. I'm not afraid of whipping out my permit honestly. I tell everyone who will listen about Georgia firearms law.

My .02 YMMV

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I think my response would have depended on how the store manager asked. If it was with attitude...then he would get attitude.

7. gsusnake

Only person that gets my identification when they ask for it is a police officer.

If the store manager has a problem with my carrying, he can ask me to leave and I'll be more than happy to.

"Just say no to 'papers please'". --Rammstein

8. gsusnake

If he said "You have to show me your license or leave" he would have gotten two choice words from me that rhyme with "duck shoe".

9. JMJ2

JMJ2 New Member

The manager didn't come off the wrong way, he even had a smile. He told me that crime has gotten worst in the area. He might have been a little paranoid I guess. Its probaly not their store policy but it didn't bother me.

10. flyin929

flyin929 New Member

So, if you were getting ready to rob the place and didn't happen to have a GFL...
    I guess you'd have to leave.
    Personally I would have left.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Here's my take...

Show him the GFL.

or

Ask him how many criminals open carry.

Either way should probably result in the manager leaving you to shop in peace.

12. M249

M249 New Member

If he was cool about asking, I'd show him. Not because he has any right to see it, but..

a) I wish to create a good impression and gain as many allies as possible.
    b) I'd be excited because I finally got it and want to show it off! :D

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This is just one of those judgement calls. He can't make you show it, but he can ask you to leave.

If he was a jerk I'd probably just leave. If he was nice about it, I'd probably just "flash" the GFL to him and state "I'm legal." I don't think I'd be handing it over, he doesn't need my name and address just because I'm shopping. If that isn't enough for him, I'd have to leave.

There are situations where I'd probably show it and situations where I probably wouldn't.

14. merlock

merlock New Member

+1

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:wink:

If your goal is education and gaining allies, then the original poster had a good result!

16. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I agree with that too.

Where is the store located?

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

18. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I agree.

19. moga

moga New Member

+1

20. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1

If the store manager asks, I would be polite and show it to him without making a big deal of it. Is it any of his business if you have a license? In his store, it is. If he wants to, he post a sign that forbids you to bring a gun in (kinda), but he didn't do that. All he wanted to do was ensure that th eperson carrying a gun in his store was doing so legally. Hat's off him for knowing what a GFL is, and not being totally ignorant of GA gun laws.

The way I see it, it can be hard to turn people in favor of gun laws and carrying guns, but one smart a** with a GFL can very easily turn people against us.