Stopping Power

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ntech, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

I am in the final stages of making a decision about which type of glock I should buy. I want a weapon with good stopping power, but is mangeable too. I am torn between the glock .40 and the .45 auto. I have not test fired the .357.

I like the .45 for its stopping power, but the kick is a little more intense. The .45 is also a wider gun. The .40 is a more narrow gun which allows me to get my hand all the way around it, which I like. However, I don't know if .40 is sufficient in stopping power. With the exception of the .357 and the .45, is the .40 the next biggest? What do you think guys?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would reccomend shooting all of the above and seeing which feels better to you. How much range time will you be doing with it? Ammo costs can make a difference it you plan on shooting it alot. I also wouldn't rule out a hot 9mm load.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

This is not a stick poking, but stopping power is pretty much a myth when it comes to handguns. Shot placement is the key.

With a good 9mm load, you are giving up nothing to the .40SW at all. I actually prefer 9mm to .40SW. I have minimal experience with the .357Sig, but I very much enjoyed shooting it and like the concept of the bottleneck cartridges. The .45 is king. If the G21 is too big for you, take a look at the .45GAP pistols as they have the same grip/frame sizes as the 9/40/357 Glocks.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

The short version is that stopping power is a myth.

I would also suggest you look into 9mm as well. If the old reasoning was that .45 was a proven round because of its width, a 9mm JHP by a reputable manufacturer will expand to greater than the width of a FMJ .45.

But you really need to fire each round from each brand of weapon you are considering. You don't want to get a gun that you feel is a chore to shoot.

Whatever choice you make, you will be well served in any of the calibers from 9mm to .40 to .45.

Remember, it is not so much what you shoot, but where you place those shots that matters most.

5. tace

tace New Member

Seems you are quite misinformed about stopping power. As long as you use Hollow Points the ability for a round to incapacitate someone is very similar between 9mm, .40 S&W, 357 SIG and .45 ACP . The placement matters more than the mm difference in unexpanded width of the round.

Now, if you don't believe me and many ppl who will tell you the same. According to the debunked "Stopping power" studies of yore, the .40 S&W has more energy than the 45 ACP. Keep in mind that the speed of the bullet means more energy than just mass. Hence Air Marshalls use 357 SIG which is a 9mm bullet atop a .40 case.

A person who can shot what he is aiming at can bring someone down with a 9mm. Infact, statistically 9mm is the greatest one shot effective round in the world. This is partially because its an easier round to control and cheaper, easier round to practice with.

I was at a gun store once and the owner mentioned everyone coming in and buying a .45 for their first gun only to return a while back and trade it for a .40 or 9mm because they would get tired of the kick. Something to keep in mind.

To answer your original question the bullet in a .45 ACP is the biggest, second .40 S&W then 357 SIG and 9mm. These are for centerfire semi auto rounds. The revolver rounds like .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum are bigger.

6. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Don't buy a gun you don't feel comfortable shooting. I favor the .45 but the full-sized .45 Glock is too big for me. However, the compact Glock .45 (G30) is a perfect fit and its my preferred concealed carry gun. The full-sized .40 (G22) also feels great in my hands.

If you scan the web for stopping power, you'll find a million different opinions. Like previous posters said, placement is more important than caliber. That said, I'm partial to the .45. If I can't shoot a .45, give me a .40.

As for .357 Sig, it's got quite a snap.

And the 9mm...well, it has its loyal followers, but I'm not one of them. Too weak and simply not as fun to shoot.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm not trying to start a calibe war here. But......

I know several people that insist that only only a .45 or 10mm is powerful enough for self defense. They say that shoting someone with a 9mm will just make piss them off. I offered to put a couple of 9mm hollow points in their chests to see if they would any less dead than if I used a .45. None of them were willing take me up on the offer.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'm a 9mm fan and very often can be found carrying one, but I should point out that hollowpoints don't expand 100 percent of the time. A .45 fmj ain't gonna shrink. :)

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

By quality manufacturers like Speer, Federal, Hornady and Cor-Bon?

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

It happens. Sometimes the actual cavity in the hollowpoint will clog causing it not to expand, and sometimes the jacket and the bullet will separate.

11. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

This is why you shoot until the threat is not a threat anymore. This doesn't mean empty the mag, it mean until the threat stops being a threat...ie retreats, etc. When using a round that is bonded like Gold Dots, the jacket seperation issue is very small. A round is only as affective as the placement of the shot.

Yep, I wouldn't mind having a .40, .357sig, and .45...but when it comes to shooting bigger or shooting more often...I like to shoot more often. Of course, I have a 10mm in a Glock 20C for a house pistol.

If you want something with stopping power for your home...get a shottie and stoke it with 1oz lead or 00.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

For a concealed carry piece, I think the Glock 19 in 9mm is hard to beat.

15 +1 capacity plus you can carry its big brother's magazines (G17) for extra capacity reloads.

I like high quality +P hollowpoints for the 9mm. I carry Remington Goldensaber 124 gr. +P in my Sig P228.

+1000 on Mastino's recomendation for the shotgun for home defense. When things go bump in the night I reach for my Remington 870 with a 20 inch barrel and a mag extension loaded with low brass 2 3/4 inch 00 buck.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The Glock 19 is my 9mm carry pistol of choice although I also own a Ruger KP95DC and a S&W 5906TSW.

My 9mm carry ammo is the Winchester Ranger SXT 127gr +P+, but I wouldn't sneeze at those Golden Sabers you mention. That's some nice stuff.

14. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

If you are torn between the 9mm and the .40, get a .40. If the round is too much or you don't like it, buy a 9mm conversion barrel and mags from Lone Wolf Dist. I plan on getting one for my G27 because the ammo is cheaper.

15. ntech

ntech Member

I agree with your recommendation Doc, I already have a Remington 870 shotgun with the extended magazine loaded with 3" 00 buck. However, you never know when you may need to place a precise shot to take down an intruder. That's why I am interested in getting the pistol. I have shot all of the glocks except for the .357, and will probably go with the .40 cal.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got a .40 cal (Glock 23 - the compact version) and I love it. Easy to conceal and shoots great.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Having actually shot live targets over 100 lbs in weight with 9 mm hollowpoints and observing the consequences of even multiple hits to areas normally considered vital, and having observed the results of shooting live targets with various calibers, I have a different opinion from all of the folks above.

I carry the largest diameter bullet I can carry for the occasion. I then load it with the heaviest grain bullet I can find that is a well constructed, reliable, expanding design.

When I have intentionally gone to face someone I believe to be armed, I have brought along a long gun, usually a shotgun with slugs and buckshot (slug up first for the "precise" shot). Under the circumstances, that qualified as largest diameter and heaviest I can carry for the occasion.

Under more normal circumstances, most of the time, this means .45 ACP in a 230 grain hollowpoint (currently Federal Hydrashock).

But please keep in mind that I stated the largest diameter bullet I can carry for the occasion. Depending on the circumstances, I may even carry something smaller than 9mm. In fact, I frequently do.

In addition, you indicated some discomfort when shooting the .45. If that does not go away with intensive training, then it would be foolish to carry a gun that you do not find comfortable. Most people find the 9mm very comfortable to shoot.

Please keep in mind as well that others on here may have had different experiences from me, and my experiences may not have been representative. I make no claim to have studied the subject extensively. :wink:

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty witty, but in all seriousness it might if you are shooting cheap bullets.

19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I do feel comfortable shooting a G19 and a G23. It took some range time to feel comfortable with the 23 and I can shoot it just as well as I can a 19 now. I only use Speer Gold Dots as carry ammo. 9 mil ammo is cheaper on the wallet as well. :)

20. EOD

EOD New Member

Stopping power isn't exactly a myth. The .38 wouldn't stop drugged up charging individuals and the .45 Colt did. The FBI felt that the 9mm was not effective in all situations and switched. Before leaving the 9mm they even jumped to a heavier bullet 147 vs 115. Many soldiers currently serving seem to prefer the .45 ACP over the 9mm. Shot placement certainly is important but most people don't practice anywhere near enough to be very accurate in a life and death situation. Of course most people either prefer the 9mm or the .45 and will never be swayed from their thinking. This will be one of the arguments that lasts until we are all carrying small Tesla death rays or light sabers.