Stop touching me....

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by johnski, May 5, 2018.

1. johnski

johnski Active Member

Eating Breakfast at a local Waffle House while OCing at the end of the high-bar and an older gentleman and his wife take the booth next to me. Before the man sits down he stands real close to me, and says to me " You know Waffle House is a gun-free zone?". He was being serious. I told him no it's not and he says "did they change their policy?". I say no. At the beginning of this "conversation" he had put both hands lightly on my right arm which I had up on the counter. I had ear buds listening to a video podcast. I quietly but firmly told him he needed to quit touching me and he immediately lifts his hands off my arm and turns and sits down.

What the hell do people think they are doing? I would never put my hands on someone I did not know like that. No it was not time to educate him, no I was not in the mood for a discussion. I was having a quiet breakfast. I've been to this one many times.

Gun Free Zone my arse. The Waffle Houses are where you most need to be armed with all the shite that happens there.

/vent

magnum1b likes this.
  2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

No rebuke here. He crossed a line by touching you. It's amazing what people think they can do these days.

3. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not appropriate, at ANYTIME.

However, and I am not trying to be a dick... but am I the only one who thinks that it's bad situational awareness to OC, while listening/watching something (or, not paying attention to your surroundings) while sitting with your back to the door (just an assumption since all the WH "high counter" seats are facing opposite the door)? I personally would *not* be in favor of doing that.

Archangel, magnum1b and AzB like this.
  4. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Waffle House "is" a gun free zone, per their longtime corporate policy.
    ( their policy, not state statutory law, is what this guy was talking about. He made reference to waffle house not changing their "policy.")

I agree that this guy was out of line to touch you while he was trying to make his point .

AzB likes this.
  5. johnski

johnski Active Member

Yes I know the official policy but I was not about to get into any "discussion" when he put his hands on me. Basically it was just "no" and "no" and take your hands off of me, have a nice day.

6. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Active Member

He was certainly out of line, but take this as a learning experience for yourself too.

I whole-hearidly concur with GM404’s assessment of rather unsound behaviors here, especially considering you were open carrying. You talk about how WHs are generally where one ought to carry due to the recent incidents at them, yet put yourself in an extraordinarily vulnerable position in one.

Archangel likes this.
  7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

2018 - Shootings in Florida, Tennessee and Missouri stores.
    2017 - Shootings in Ohio, North Carolina and Mississippi stores.

No, Waffle House is not a gun free zone.

MSgt G likes this.
  8. moe mensale

Johnski - I have to agree with the others who pointed out how vulnerable you left yourself. Even if you were with someone else, your awareness level was drastically encumbered.

Archangel likes this.
  9. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

I think that is fairly common old people behavior.

Scout706 and Savannah Dan like this.
  10. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

Maybe it's because I'm not from around here but a non threatening touch doesn't bother me. I've found it not uncommon for elderly people to place a hand as a way of being friendly.

I doubt the gentleman came off as a threat so why be hostile?

If you don't appreciate being touched just reply politely.

That was an opportunity to possibly educate someone...

Adam5 likes this.
  11. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

That is my take on it. He was trying to be friendly and quietly speak to you instead of being loud and make a scene by yelling over your ear buds. He may have thought he was doing you a favor.

Savannah Dan and Adam5 like this.
  12. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

One of my last visits to a WH in Atlanta, sitting at the counter...
    An old guy comes in and tells me to move, that I'm in his seat.
    I scooted my plate of eggs over and complied. Breakfast for me is a trouble-free zone.

Yes, I could have shot him dead but that would have been a poor life choice.

Smilodon likes this.
  13. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

WTF

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

Grouchy old men may not do it, but it isn't uncommon for old people to touch you when they speak to you.

15. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

Valid point.

16. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

You aren't old. You're uh vintage

OldWoreOutMarine likes this.
  17. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I agree that his action was quite inappropriate. But also quite innocent, probably.

Had it been me sitting there, I probably would have did pretty much what you did, after seeing that it was an older guy. If it had been a younger guy, I probably would have looked him dead in the eye and calmly said, "You had better un-hand me...right now".

Relating something along these lines:

I was watching my daughter graduate veterinary school today. A lady was trying to climb over the chair in front of and to one side of me. She was having a little bit of trouble. My wife told me I should help her (which really was not necessary, as she was not old or appearing to have a disability). I told my wife, "If I grabbed her, I might get punched (by the guy next to her), and I would deserve it". Then I realize that the proper thing might be to ask her if she needed help. But her dude was next to her, so that was unnecessary.

18. moe mensale

Did it occur to you that maybe he wanted to get your attention without causing a scene by raising his voice? I think he showed great deference in his approach.

19. moe mensale

I've got some vintage wine. OWOM is just old. No comparison. :lol:

20. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    GlockGary likes this.