Stop just practicing shooting

Discussion in 'Training' started by DonT, Dec 16, 2018.

1. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

TimBob and StarJack like this.
  2. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Good article and extraordinarily true.

While shooting performance is desirable, it’s just one small piece of the puzzle. Learning to avoid the stupid trifecta (stupid places, stupid people and stupid practices) as well as learning to effectively manage a stranger’s unwanted approach are as valuable skillsets if not more so.

jag_357 and DonT like this.

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

One of the best self defense articles I have read in a long time.

Nemo

DonT likes this.
  4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Comments:

Which was and remains the primary reason I went there to train gunfighters back in the 90s, because I wanted to go where the gunfights were, and it wasn’t in the US civilian or LE sector. I was always refreshed by the no-bullshit attitude of the South Africans. The level of experience vs training is significant there. I had in one of my classes a 22 year old who had been in 22 gunfights (not one on one, not shooting to stop, but full blown gun battles with multiple armed opponents) as a private sector security guard. First in a supermarket, then on an armored car. His first major fight in the supermarket as a 17 year old armed with a shotgun was against 8 men armed with pistols and R5 rifles. They were police officers come to rob the payroll.

DonT likes this.
  5. DonT

Another key nugget:

6. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

Thanks for posting DonT! The articles Ralph Mroz wrote for American Handgunner are outstanding. I didn't know he had this blog, and now have it bookmarked. His favorite quotes page is very entertaining!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    DonT likes this.
  7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I agree that among gun nuts like ourselves, we focus way too much on drawing and shooting, to the exclusion of almost everything else that would matter in a lethal force encounter.

But, there are people out there in the real world, people who probably don't visit GeorgiaPacking and don't register here so they can post. Some of those people still need to work on items #8 and #13 on that 25-point list. Plenty of gun owners aren't comfortable handling their weapons both safety and quickly, with a sure grip, a smooth draw, good presentation to the target without fumbling or hesitating, and pressing the trigger without jerking it. Those people need coaching, instruction, and many hundreds of rounds of practice (some of which could be dry-fires with snap caps or laser-pointer dummy shells).

8. DonT

Good point, GS. Too many gun owners haven't even gotten the gun handling/safety/effective shooting skills down yet. This article is aimed really at instructors and gun people, who focus only on 8 and 13, to the exclusion of all those things the author lists, that are important too.

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It's because most people just focus on stand up shooting tight groups instead of a quick shot placement. I find that there are very few experienced shooters have even taken a class and do not have a proper grip for point shooting. Much less even know how to point shoot. Most take careful aim and still can't place 2 shots within 1/8'' unless they fire 50 rounds to blow out the center 5'' of a target. Then they always have 10 or more flyers that miss the silhouette on the paper. More will be located in other areas such as arms or what would be considered flesh wounds.

DonT likes this.
  10. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

This is one of the main reasons that I not only shoot competitively, but that I do so with stock guns (including my carry gun, a few times a year). No, it's not "tactical" training, but it's good practice shooting from cover, shooting while moving, smooth draws, mag changes, rapid target acquisition, etc. Between that and dry-fire at home, it beats the heck out of just standing and shooting at an indoor range.

TimBob and DonT like this.
  11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

a good "training" video on situational awareness, and spotting when a predator is approaching you and about to victimize you.

Schweisshund, jag_357 and DonT like this.
  12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Good video, but I wish he would have had some of good outcomes to compare.

Schweisshund likes this.
  13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Very interesting to see all that distilled down into one place. And I'll admit to having fallen into the "he came out of nowhere" trap even though I usually have a swivel head. Publix parking lot at 7:30 AM on a quiet Sunday morning. Basically no vehicles around mine as I put stuff onto the back seat. Looked up and there he was 5 feet away. Asked if I could spare some change, lifted his sweat shirt to show me he wasn't carrying anything. At which point I fanned my jacket to show him I was and told him to walk away. I still don't know where he came from.

Anyway, that guy in the grey hoodie in the audience sure looks like Gabe Suarez. And the blonde lady looks like Laura Dern.