Stop for gas in NJ = Jail

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Conviction upheld for misinformed gun owner who stopped for gas in Clinton
    Hunterdon County Democrat (NJ)
    http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... infor.html
    January 10, 2011
    Byline: Lillian Shupe

:shock: Wow! Check out the reasonable suspicion that prompted this investigation!

2. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Possession of JHPs in NJ is a crime? :screwy:

3. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

4. AuburnRunner

AuburnRunner New Member

NJ is out of control. Read some of the comments after the article. I can't believe some of those wackos support their rights being violated like that.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yep -with some exceptions (see link):
    http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

6. spector

spector New Member

Scary, huh? Even scarier is that THIS is legal:
    [​IMG]

7. samman23

samman23 New Member

I wonder how the cop in NJ who arrested him sleeps at night. He took a good guy,turned him into a bad guy and did not make the citizens that he serves any safer.

and all because he was pumping his own gas. This is the state where you are not allowed to pump your own gas right?

8. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Yet another reason to never go back there...

NJ where 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 rights make a left...

9. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

New Jersey, the east coasts California.

10. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:x :screwy: I will never go to NJ, ever.

11. MINDCRIME518

MINDCRIME518 New Member

This is the exact reason I left that state. I was born and raised in NJ. I have friends that are police officers and tell me that they dont have a choice but to arrest someone who is in illegal possesion of a handgun. This guy made a mistake by having it not only on him, but inside of his vehicle. IMO, If it was in his trunk and the ammo was separated, he could have had a better defense...Just taking the hit for hollow points..What a crappy state. Im glad I left!

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I've said it before about NJ, and I'll say it again... Every single [s:16zjytf0]citizen[/s:16zjytf0] subject there deserves the government and laws they have.

The rest of us just have to be smart enough to never ever go there.

13. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Just wait 'til Draconian and unconstitutional laws such as this are passed on the National level.

14. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

The way his lawyer explained it on the radio was: You can have the "hollow nosed" ammunition in your home for protection. If you take your pistol outside you must reload with solids or be charged. If you shoot an intruder with "hollow nosed" ammunition and he gets outside of your residence and the bullets are still in him HE can be charged with illegal possession of "hollow nosed" ammunition.

Strange ain't it.

15. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Believe it or not it is also against statute to pump your own gas in NJ. I lived in that police state for three years and it was three years too long.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20040715.html

16. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i went once...i left my gun in PA and rode over by car. i then had to ride by train to philly going through camdenetc during the night..then walked through downtown philly unarmed to get on the r6 to norristown...would have been nicer if i had been armed

17. cwats04

cwats04 Member

i would not completly call him a good guy. he was driving on a suspended license.
    while i do not agree with him being charged for the weapons and ammo, he should have taken to time to do HIS OWN research of some form, even if it was to call the NJ state police and ask them about their crazy laws.

18. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

This certainly demonstrates the need to know all of the laws for any state that you're driving through. If this fellow had unloaded his firearm, and stored the ammo and firearm apart from each other, he would have been protected under "Safe Passage" law. He shouldn't have even been wearing an empty holster, which would have also drawn the unwarranted attention of NJ Law enforcement.

http://www.gunlaw.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=96

I know I've posted this in another thread, but a New Jersey transplant stopped me in our Wal-Mart a while back. He wanted to know how I could OC. We talked a while, and I told him how to get his permit, and gave him a GCO card. He said; "MY son-in-law gave me a pistol two years ago, but I don't have my permit to buy ammo for it." I thought he was going to pass out when I said just go over there to sporting goods and buy what you need.

19. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Ahhh, the sweet taste of freedom!

20. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I think NJ guns laws are absurd and possibly unconstitutional, but until they are struck down, the guy should have educated himself on what was legal in that state.

I'm glad he got off with only probation and no jail time. Is he now a felon?