Stone Mt. ?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by P Kelly, Jul 6, 2020.

1. P Kelly

P Kelly New Member

Is Stone Mt Park a carry place? I thought it was put off limits due to being a family venue? I could be wrong, but just want some clarification. I understand under the seat or trunk or something but how about open obvious carry?

The last time this question was asked was 2017, just checking to make sure were up to date.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Carry is allowed.

P Kelly likes this.

3. P Kelly

P Kelly New Member

Okay, so how does open carry, with intimidation work? Also as a mass group? Would that not be a gathering?

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Phil1979? Phil1979?

5. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I assume you're asking because of the armed protest going on at St. Mountain this past few days.

Carrying in stone mountain has been legal for quite some time, there was even a court case about it many years ago. Look here for more info on that.

There is no public gathering law in Georgia. That was removed years ago.

You may carry in your vehicle , on your property or at your place of business without a GWCL (as long as you can legally own a firearm). There are no restrictions on where in your vehicle it must be (it can be on your hip, on the dashboard or under the seat if you want) or how it's carried (loaded or unloaded).

As for carrying with the intent to intimidate there is no brandashing law in Georgia, but if you admit that's your reason for carrying and that's what you're trying to do then you may run afoul of other laws. I would advise to carry because it's your Right and for you and your family's protection.

If you legally carry in Georgia it's hard to say you're doing it to intimidate. You have a GWCL, Georgia allows open or concealed carry and other people's fears of you legally carrying are strictly their problem, so there is no intimidation factor to legally carrying in Georgia.

MSgt G likes this.
  6. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

Open carry at Stone Mtn. is commonplace. You will not have any problem.

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

As phantoms said, the public gathering law was retired about 10 years ago.

P Kelly likes this.
  8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Why thank you, Moe.

Indeed, there was quite a different response here to open carry than my experience was back in 2013 or 2014.

At that time the "mob" I was with was my bride and two children, with one of them being pushed in a stroller by me.

And I was not armed with a rifle, but only with a holstered pistol on my side.

And I was not mouthing violent rhetoric or demanding free money.

So what happened to me? I was detained by a police officer and then surrounded by three or four other officers, who began to question me.

Once I chose to remain silent, they left, but not without agreeing among themselves to "bird dog" me - in other words, keep an eye on me.

So now, you have a mob of armed "protesters" demanding reparations and their own free land to make their own country, armed to the teeth with both pistols and long guns, and what happens?

No detainment, no questioning, and the Park's spokesperson characterizes them as "peaceful".

To be fair, HB 60 took care of protecting lawful carriers from being detained just for being armed, but what a difference between the two situations.

TimBob, MSgt G, P Kelly and 1 other person like this.
  9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Striking in its complexion is it not.

Phil1979 likes this.
  10. P Kelly

P Kelly New Member

Thank you for the information, and in-site. I have no issue with anyone or group performing a 2A march or exercising there 2A rights, I applaud anyone for it.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I don't either, but that is not all that happened here.

I do have an issue with false imprisonment and pointing bolt action scoped rifles at tourists on the mountain.

Bkite, TimBob, MSgt G and 2 others like this.
  12. P Kelly

P Kelly New Member

I agree, if your intent is to intimidate people into your way of thinking, extort money, or belief then you meet the definition of terrorist.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

As I've said before, regarding other incidents, even armed / open carry marches by right wing pro gun groups,
    I think there's a huge difference between carrying the gun that you normally carry daily out in public for protection and arming yourself to look like you're already on the battlefield expecting to start killing people momentarily.

I think there is difference, and the law can draw a distiction between, gangs brandishing long guns w/ body armor snd tactical vests full of spare high capacity mags, pouch full of face masks, gas masks, helmets...

...and normally-attired and equipped persons.
    I think that militant, threatening, open carry could be criminalized if it is not already criminalized by statutory law.
    I think the first amendment will yield to armed hate groups announcing they want to kill other American citizens and inviting them to come down and shoot it out in the streets ---which is exactly what these black Muslim haters at Stone Mountain did.

14. gunsmoker

And yes, I realize that this would have the effect of limiting your 1st amendment rights if you want to push your Second Amendment rights as far as they can go.

Or, conversely, you would have to self-limit your Second Amendment rights to fully exercise your First Amendment rights and be the obnoxious hateful a-hole that the Freedom Of Expression doctrine says you can be.
    I agree with that, and I predict future courts will too.

We're on the verge of seeing judges carve out a new exception to the 1A for "armed hate speech."

P Kelly likes this.
  15. gunsmoker

Or, more likely, the legislature (or Congress) will just pass a law banning weapons at public gatherings with no exception for holders of carry permits. We had a public gatherings ban
    in Georgia for almost the entire 20th century; I don't think it would be controversial (and not even seriously challenged as unconstitutional) for the legislature to return to that statutory scheme.

A new restriction on weapons (when combined with certain kinds of speech ) would be a lot more palatable to the public and subject to less scrutiny by the courts then a restriction on speech (when combined with wespons possession).

P Kelly likes this.
  16. moe mensale

Who/what are you referring to here?

17. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

There is a 30 minute video of the recent NFAC rally, when they are gathered in the parking lot in front of Confederate Hall, one of the peaceful protesters goes behind the speaker and assumes a prone shooting position with his rifle pointing toward the mountain. The speaker calls him out on that and he goes back to rejoin the group.

There also videos where the peaceful protesters stop white drivers and, while holding their firearms, are demanding that the white drivers pay their reparations.

18. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

If history is any indication, they will more than likely be shooting each other.

19. moe mensale

Got some links?