Stone Mountain Park: Snow job?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Wiley, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Statement on Coca-Cola Snow Mountain
    10/03/2007

October 3, 2007, Stone Mountain, GA – Stone Mountain Park (SMP) in conjunction with the Stone Mountain Memorial Association and Dekalb County Government, has made the decision to cease snow making for its new winter attraction, Coca-Cola Snow Mountain, effective at 10:00AM this morning. While SMP is considered a commercial entity and had all required approvals to develop and open this attraction, we understand the concerns of our local citizens. We will explore all options for how we can continue to bring this snow park to Atlantans.

(770)413-5300
    [email protected]

http://www.stonemountainpark.com/press- ... spx?id=221

And yet a legally possed firearm in your car will get you arrested. (BTW, I wonder if the new Dekalb Police Chief had a firearm in his illegaly licenced motorhome when it was parked at the Stone Mountain Park camp ground?)

2. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Aside from the gun issue...

Who the heck was complaining about them making snow? And why? :shock:

3. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Well, it does seem a bit wasteful to be pumping out snow when our water reserves are critical and most of us are on total outdoor watering bans...

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

That doesn't stop the airport from pressure washing ALL of their sidewalks EVERY night...

5. Wiley

Wiley Guest

One million gallons of tap water.

6. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Depends on the source of the water. If they draw water from the local lake then it's not an issue. All they are doing is drawing water from the lake, making snow, which will melt and presumably return to the lake. Foolish? Yeah, I think so. Wasteful? Not really, from a water perspective. Of course, under this scenario, they are consuming energy for a dubious purpose which only adds greenhouse gases to the atmosphere, increases global warming (not that I drink that Kool Aid), and in general ruins the planet.

7. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

This story was on the Weather Channel this morning.

8. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

News reported they where going to use city water and NOT lake water. The lake water (according to park officials) would not make pure white snow...

The whole idea is stupid imho

9. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I find this practice objectionable.

10. Claire

Claire New Member

I moved to GA to get away from snow

11. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

:exactly: :righton:

12. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Vernon Jones, the CEO of Dekalb County, was on the Boortz radio program yesterday and today concerning this issue, as the majority of the water being used is being drawn from that county. Yesterday he didn't have all the facts and said that he would look into it and call back Boortz when he had more information. He followed up on his promise and called back in this morning.

According to Jones, he could not initially get any information from the state as to whether or not Stone Mt. was following the rules under a category 4 water ban, so he asked Stone Mt. to stop with their project until he received some clarification. They complied. Eventually the state got its collective head out of its stinky spot and determined that this was an event, not a necessary function of a business, so it did not meet the criteria and therefore they could not use public water sources for this project. Once Stone Mt. was informed of this they stopped the project and Coke, the sponsor, has also withdrawn from the event as well.

Jones went on to say that if they wanted to Stone Mt. could draw water from their lake for the project, as it is their resource and not subject to the water conservation restrictions, but they could only pull a limited number of gallons per day as there are other restrictions in place on lake use that are not part of the water conservation restrictions.

13. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

That might be the first time I have heard Vernon Jones say anything I agree with. Good for him.

14. Wiley

Wiley Guest

My point was that, by their own admission, SMP is a commercial entity. Yet they will have you arrested, hawled off to a DeKalb court if you have a legaly owned and stored firearm in your car.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I thought that all they could do is take your gun and give you a ticket?

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the cops there (and the Chief) state they will issue you a citation to appear in court. They will, however, seize your weapon as "contraband."

17. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

So they have no authority to confiscate your weapon and cite you due to the preemption statute?

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I call it the pre-emption loophole. Only counties and cities are bound by preemption and Stone mountain is neither.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That is express statutory preemption only. I believe they are still preempted, both implicitly and by conflict.