Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts

·
Sledgehammer
4,777 Posts
Interesting situation. There is a stonemountainpark.org web site that is owned by the SMMA (i.e., the state). There is also a stonemountainpark.com web site that is owned by the company that manages the park for SMMA.

The nice folks at the management company (Herschend Family Entertainment, 5445 Triangle Parkway, Suite 200, Peachtree Corners, GA 30092) took it upon themselves to decide that people can't bring weapons into the park. I suppose it never occurred to them that they, as agents of SMMA, have no authority to do what their principle (SMMA) cannot do. I have reason to believe the principle will be talking to the agent....

·
Registered
14,558 Posts
At least according to their FAQ under guest behavior with no exceptions mentioned:
  • Weapons are not allowed on the premises, including knives with blades longer than 3 1/2 inches.
Grand Master Funk and his NFAC must be going apeshit if they can't practice their marching and strutting there anymore.

·
68,961 Posts
Grand Master Funk and his NFAC must be going apeshit if they can't practice their marching and strutting there anymore.
Last time, the police were too scared to stop them from falsely imprisoning white motorists (a felony) so that they could scream at them with megaphones. What makes you think next time the park police would grow some testicles and do their job? This new rule change? Ha!

·
Sledgehammer
4,777 Posts
I also should mention that the police in the park are not Herschend employees, they are SMMA employees. And the officers are very well versed on the whole carrry-in-the-park thing. So Herschend might have trouble finding someone to enforce their not-going-to-be-around-much-longer illegal rules.

·
68,961 Posts
My experience is that they do not even blink at carrying openly. Apparently they do not blink at false imprisonment, either.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So Herschend does not apparently have an "estate for years" then? (it's sick we even have to get into the weeds like that) Or are they more of a contracted operator rather than a lessee?

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,677 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So here's another question, given that Stone Mountain is a state park, and there's no state face diaper mandate, is Herschend's little show actually enforceable? In particular does anyone know who owns the building on top of the mountain? I'm hiking up it Saturday evening. I won't go near the skylift or cafe, but if I need to pop in to use the bathroom, I need to know that there won't be an issue.

·
68,961 Posts
Interesting situation. There is a stonemountainpark.org web site that is owned by the SMMA (i.e., the state). There is also a stonemountainpark.com web site that is owned by the company that manages the park for SMMA.

The nice folks at the management company (Herschend Family Entertainment, 5445 Triangle Parkway, Suite 200, Peachtree Corners, GA 30092) took it upon themselves to decide that people can't bring weapons into the park. I suppose it never occurred to them that they, as agents of SMMA, have no authority to do what their principle (SMMA) cannot do. I have reason to believe the principle will be talking to the agent....
Any reason to believe this happened?

·
68,961 Posts
I was planning to visit soon. Anybody know whether I am risking being thrown out or arrested for criminal trespass if I refuse to leave after being told I cannot carry?

I don't like jail.

I especially do not want to stay the night in DeKalb County's jail.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,491 Posts
Run into some old buddies there maybe?

Nemo

·
Registered
8,493 Posts
I was planning to visit soon. Anybody know whether I am risking being thrown out or arrested for criminal trespass if I refuse to leave after being told I cannot carry?

I don't like jail.

I especially do not want to stay the night in DeKalb County's jail.

I no longer find the previously mentioned restrictions. I have never had any issues there and would volunteer to run reconnaissance for you if needed.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I might see y'all out there. I was there today with a group going up top and I went ahead and paid for an annual pass. I'm looking for good trails to get exercise in and that park has plenty.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts