Stolen Pistol after auto breakin

Discussion in 'Georgia Crime Reports' started by RIA45, Nov 15, 2010.

1. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

My wifes jeep was broken into this weekend and her pistol was stolen. I am the one who didn't lock the doors after getting groceries. I feel terible. So does the wife. We didn't intend to leave the pistol in the jeep. I am certain it is again someone walking the neighborhood checking unlocked doors.

If anyone has any advice on neighborhood watch programs and somehow my neighbors and I can take back our neighborhood I would be glad to listen. We've had a lot of crime lately. Last week 4 lbs of pot was taken and a man put in jail from a rental trailer around the corner.

I feel like if we could get the neighborhood cleaned up down the road some it would help. The renters are not taking care of the property. I am sure there is an ordinance against the yards looking like crap. Maybe if the owners were fined enough they would start being more selective of the renters.

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Did you report the gun's serial number to the police?

3. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

Yes. Made the report with local SO, and spoke to CID. They couldn't take prints due to texture of surfaces. Great chat with LEOs. SO said that they may one day find it in a traffic stop. I asked if he ran all serial numbers. He said yes. "If I have probable cause to search a vehicle and find a gun, I run it."

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I THINK I've read that you can also report it stolen to the BATFE in addittion to the local police.

5. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

when I asked about checking pawn shops they CI said that if its is found or used in a crime my report will show it as stolen and it will be returned. Assuming I want it back if someone is killed with it.

:puke:

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Sure you want it back, you might turn around and sale it, but you do want your property back. :D

I'm sure that many police trade-in guns and military surplus guns "have bodies on them" too. We just don't know it. :D

Beside a gun is just a tool, what does it matter if someone was killed using it in the past if it is legally yours now?

7. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I explained to my wife that whoever is doing the breakins is now armed as a far as we know. Adjust accordingly.

8. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

We had a rash of break-ins for a while a couple of years ago. My neighbor's gun was stolen from his truck, as well was another resident's. Gwinnett PD told us that there were several neighborhoods in the area getting hit. We did a vounteer night patrol for a while and had little window stickers printed up for residents' cars so we could recognize them driving through the neighborhood.

It ended up that the patrol didn't catch anyone, but a resident that has a newborn and was up feeding them at 2 or 3 am saw a car pull up to their house, someone got out and check the doors of the cars in their driveway, and then continued on. The resident called the HOA President, who saw the same car coming up his street. The HOA Pres called Gwinnett PD and blocked off the one street going out of the neighborhood with his truck until Gwinnett PD arrived (only about 3 minutes for the PD) and the would-thieves were caught. Turned out they had a ton of stuff in their car from various neighborhoods.

9. 686wheelman

686wheelman New Member

:righton: i wish i had neighbors like you :righton:

10. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Yeah and if I could get them to keep their garage doors closed and cars locked at night, we might have a little less bait for theives...

11. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Install a video surveillance system for your home. Maybe you're catch the thief on video walking or driving by the next time someone near you is burglarized.

12. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I would do this if I could afford it.

The LEOs were really good about the situation and wanted me to know it wasn't my fault that they (crooks) shouldn't be out stealing. I still feel bad. The CI said more citizens should carry.

13. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Nice to know that at least one group of LEO's is living in the real world... :righton: Actually I think it's true of most of them (contrary to the article in another thread...)