Stippled My Xd

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by JeffSmith2208, Oct 14, 2010.

1. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

Not finished yet, just lacking the backstrap. I tried a "chainlink" design at first, but I didn't like it so I went over everything again. Before all of that I did some shaving on the frame with my dremel, and my favorite part is the thumb relief that I trimmed next to the mag release botton.

Anyhow, I'm not quite finished, but tell me what you think...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

You and me both. :cry:

3. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

nice! i see a soldering iron in the pic, exactly how did you do it?

4. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I just picked a starting point and made thousands of little "craters" in no particular pattern. It's very easy to do, feals great, and looks awsome in person.

To those who I made cry... Cheer up, it's not your gun!

5. stasher1

stasher1 New Member

True, but it does significantly shrink your potential customer pool when/if you decide to sell it. I, for one, don't even look twice at "stippled" guns...regardless of whether they're DIY or professionally done.

But as you said, it's your gun. :wink:

6. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i had no clue.......... :mrgreen:

i would imagine that after probably 15-20 rounds your gonna be thinkin your holding on to a cheese grater.

7. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

Not planning on selling this gun... Key word "planning"... Just wanted to try something new.

I'd hate to see how everyone is going to act when I cut the grip down to fit a sub-compact magazine!

8. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

:banghead:

9. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Looks ok but I think you went a little high on the back strap.

Be careful with that.

I did the same thing on my Kel-Tec and ended up taking off the stippling right at the web of the hand.

10. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

I haven't shot the gun yet, was the stippling too rough on your hand? The way that I smoothed the rough spots made it so that it grips good in the hand, but doesn't feal harsh. I work with my hands a lot so they probably have thicker skin than most but, like I said, I haven't shot it yet.
    Everyone has their own thing, what they like and don't like. Myself I love the way it looks and the way it seems to grip my hand instead of the other way around. I also love the thumb relief at the magazine release button making it so that I don't need to shift my hand to drop a mag. bought this gun to be a defensive tool, not to take to the range and shoot until my hands bleed.

11. murrybird

murrybird New Member

Still prefer skate board decking grip tape, it is cheaper, work just as good,and is removable if needed,and does not permanently change the weapon.

12. hkdave

hkdave New Member

I've always wondered how this feels on the hand. I think it looks great. Just curious after 100rds at the range what your hand feels like?

13. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

It was on mine, Not on the grip itself, but where the web of my hand came across the backstrap. I'd recommend not going nay higher than the bottom of the grip safety.

But remember too, my Kel-Tec is an itty bitty gun compared to that, and at the time it was in 40 S&W.

I've since converted it to 9mm and removed the stippling from the backstrap about 1/3 of the way down.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up.

14. JeffSmith2208

JeffSmith2208 New Member

Thanks... I shot 50 rounds yesterday and it didn't hurt or feal uncomfortable. It gripped my hand really good, I'm more than satisfied with it.