Steyr M9-A1

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TAP, Nov 3, 2007.

1. TAP

TAP New Member

I've been looking at the specs of the Steyr M-A1 in 9mm. Has anyone tried one of these out? I need to find a place in ATL that stocks or rents them so I can test drive the grip and trigger. The S&W M&P full size 9mm is also appealing.

2. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Yeah, I bought one off of tace here a couple months back. Great little pistol. Imagine a Glock. Now give it better ergonomics and a better trigger, and a boreline low enough you'll think you're shooting a .22.

I seem to recall someone mentioning a range up around Cumming that had some for rent. Otherwise, I'm occasionally found at Range and Guns in Forest Park, and I'm gonna try to make the luncheon on the 17th.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Bullseye Cumming Has Steyrs for rent, $10 plus range charges.

The Steyr was number 1 on my list before I decided to go with the S&W M&P40. Getting your hands on a new one shouldn't be hard, Steyr's USA Headquarters is visible from Bullseye's front window.

If you want to come by there on a weekend, you rent the Steyr and I'll provide a S&W M&P for you to try out.

4. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

My friend had one and the low slide high grip makes the recoil quite low compared to my other 9mm. The trapezoidal sight are a like it/hate it thing.

If I was looking for a 9mm, this one would bein the 1st position on my list.

By the way, their customer service office is now in GA.

Thank you

5. TAP

TAP New Member

Thanks everyone for the comments and the offers to shoot your guns.

ThetaReactor- I am at Range and Guns every weekend (usually Sat. mornings). PM me the next time you go and I will try to meet up. I will also be at the luncheon on the 17th.

6. tace

tace New Member

:ditto: You can get them from Adventure Outdoors and CDNN. Steyr in Cummings has great customer service. Finding accessories can be a hassle.

7. tanker301

tanker301 New Member

I can kinda concur with Tace. I rented one at Bullseye. Maybe I'm an Autria-phile but I like it. Trigger was nice. The sights were nice. It was a nice day. I had a nice time. :D

8. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

One small detail about the Steyr: The barrel is polygonal. So, you are limited to metal jacketed bulelts because lead bullets are leading like hell in that kind of barrel. Is it? (Still a newbie in guns here, but I am learning....)

Thank you

9. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That is correct. Glocks, Kahrs, and HKs are also polygonally rifled, but Glock is the only company of the 3 that actually warns against lead bullets. Wiki thinks this may have to do with Glocks' poor design:

10. tace

tace New Member

Steyr is NOT polygonal barrel. And only on Glocks the lead seems to be an issue.

11. modestglock26

modestglock26 New Member

I rented one at Bullseye in Cumming and liked it a lot. I tried to buy one of their range models off them but they wouldnt sell them, only the Glocks.