Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the on-going process of trying different holsters, I forked out just over $100.00 (shipping included) for a Stealthgear Ventcore Appendix holster for my Sig P229. However, that was the last holster I bought for it, and it is far and away my favorite.

Since the Shield was smaller and lighter than the Sig, in my mind I just couldn't justify $100.00 for another Ventcore. And, since the Revolution line was new and hip-looking (and wasn't the Ventcore anyway), I just assumed that it would be at least as much as the Ventcore, if not more. So, I didn't even look into the Revolution holster until recently. When I did finally look, and discovered that Amazon had them for $54.95 (with free shipping), I signed up for the Amazon Visa card, with its $50.00 reward, and got the holster for $4.95, delivered today.

You can find plenty of videos and articles discussing the "proprietary ACX-57 polymer" holster backing. I'll just say that it is flexible, and the surface that contacts your skin feels like soft foam, even though it is non-compressible (between my fingers anyway). I really prefer the two smaller clips, one on each side, over the one clip in the middle. And yes, even though it's labeled as an appendix holster, I wear it at the 3:00 position.

After a couple of days of wear, I'll post an update.

Reactions: awanatech

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Thank you for posting your reviews and updates on your Shield holster quest. Having an XDs 9mm, I'm always looking for different ways to carry concealed. I just haven't forked over $ yet to try various holster options.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for posting your reviews and updates on your Shield holster quest. Having an XDs 9mm, I'm always looking for different ways to carry concealed. I just haven't forked over $ yet to try various holster options.
You're welcome. If you don't have a box, or drawer, full of holsters, then you must be a brand new handgun owner. ;)

Reactions: Adam5

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You're welcome. If you don't have a box, or drawer, full of holsters, then you must be a brand new handgun owner. ;)
Not really all that new, but very frugal. I've tried to research and read real reviews from carriers before buying the ones that I have. I have a many boxes of unused items from work. I'm trying to mimimize that with holster options. I also tend to make what I have work, even if it's a little less than ideal. I do that in most areas actually.

·
Administrator
7,145 Posts
What's a "Revoltion" ??

:rotfl:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I've worn the holster for about an hour outside of the house (trip to Walmart, pizza pick-up), and several hours around the house. Most of the time while in the house, I've had the holster against my bare skin without an undershirt, and without any issues.

·
Administrator
7,145 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LONG OVERDUE UPDATE:

I really liked the holster; I just wished it was about 1/2" higher, so that my finger wouldn't rub every time I drew or re-holstered my gun. I had it set to ride as high as possible in its normal configuration, but it just wasn't what I wanted.

So, after experimenting with the holsters I already had for the Shield, and then looking around on the "interweb" for different clips, backers, and even new holsters, I decided to try and modify my existing holster.

The lower you attach the upper holes of the clips, the higher the holster will ride. So, I took a wide single clip off of an old holster that I didn't use anymore (and had forgotten that I had), and cut off the mounting section. It was the right length and thickness, and already had two of the four holes that I would need. I drilled two more holes, and then cut it into two pieces to use as extensions.

I attached one end of the extension (brackets) onto the lowest mounting spot on the holster (bottom arrow). Then I attached the clip, using the upper hole, to the other end of the extension (top arrow).

That gave me the 1/2" I needed for my middle finger to not rub against the belt, the pants, or the clip itself.

(before and after comparison)

My $4.95 Stealthgear Revolution has moved back to the front of the holster pack again. Well, for now anyway.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after wearing the modified Stealthgear yesterday, I'm going to give my Vedder LightTuck another try. My modification gave me the ride height that I wanted, but it also caused the grip to rotate away from my body slightly. It's still concealable, but not as much as the Vedder. And, that rotation, along with moving the center of gravity up 1/2" makes it feel like the gun is flopping around as I move.

In a compromise between my 57 yo shoulder's mobility, and my desire for a full combat grip, I have the cant set at approximately 12-13 degrees:

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
I dont have their appendix holster but have their mini iwb for my 26 and love it. IMHO MUCH better than alien gear...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts