Stats indicate violent crime rising in Athens

Discussion in 'In the News' started by VolGrad, Sep 26, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

2. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'd be angry too if my team lost to South Carolina at home and hadn't won a Championship in 27 years. Maybe that has something to do with it?

:wink:

3. VolGrad

Here is an example.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Since there is a fifty percent drop out rate in Clarke County schools, I don't think that many of the people there have a team that lost to South Carolina...

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

:shock:

6. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Sigh...this does not make me feel much better. Though as a former Athens police officer, I know most of the worst places to avoid.

Still, sometimes trouble comes looking for you.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

But your perfectly safe in the city/county parks and on the UGA campus right? I mean, who would expect violence where weapons are prohibited? :roll:

8. VolGrad

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Any bets on a target Ruger Mk II/III with a bull barrel? That's my guess.

11. VolGrad

Good guess. Even the little Walther P22s with the target barrel could easily be mistaken for a silencer.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Then again, this is a public school, so maybe it was just a soda can taped to the slide ;)

13. VolGrad

Ya, it probably wasn't even a gun.

I just returned from a luncheon where one of the big wheels from Partners for a Prosperous Athens was the keynote speaker. Really interesting initiative to combat the 28% poverty rate in ACC. For cities of 100k and above in population, ACC is the 6th poorest in the nation - YES I SAID 6TH IN THE NATION. We are slightly better off than the Bronx in NYC. I had a negative attitude about this effort going into the luncheon but they did seem to have some good ideas. Now, they just have to make them work.

Legacy38's comment about the ACC dropout rate was corroborated by him. He said if fluctuated between 35-50% in any given year. One in four children in ACC is in poverty.

Also stated that CA plans its future prison beds by how many 3rd graders are "on grade" each year. Said it was an accurate measure.

14. VolGrad

Athens hotel robber killed by Douglas deputies?

Athens hotel robber killed by Douglas deputies?

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Interesting... didn't bother shooting, just skipped right to the "oh ****, I'm out of ammo" step. Why did he bother potentially having a silencer if he never seemed to want to fire the weapon? "If guns are used, people die; if it was just baseball bats, etc., people would just be injured."...Quote from another article posted here a few days back. Direct contradiction here.

ETA: Vol, your signature seems to be at least a little bit appropriate here. :lol:

16. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

I think UGA contributes to the poverty rate... yeah you get benefits but who can live on $19000 a yr the "new" campus minimum. when family insurance is couple hundred a month and parking is 10-30 a month and dental is about 70. the minimum for clarke co jobs seems to be more like $24000 or at least that is what it appears like on their job list. heck the raises they give don't cover the insurance increases each year.

ok i will get off my soapbox now

17. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

Safe Campuses Now has it under control

An organization called www.safecampusesnow.org is in the news for holding self defense classes to show UGA women how to protect themselves. Their Web site has some great tips for dealing with rapists.

I feel much better about the safety of our coeds. <sarcasm>

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

http://www.safecampusesnow.org/programs_SelfDefense.htm

How is survival "not winning"? Is it just one of those subtleties to keep the sheep pleating?

:rotfl: Plastic lemon...

http://www.safecampusesnow.org/scn_SafetyTips_selfdefense.htm

19. 1911packer

1911packer Guest

If by plastic lemon they mean a Glock, then it seems like a fine idea. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The above is a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor. I think Glocks are fine weapons with a long history of dependability.

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Fine! I guess I'll go cower in the corner with my .40 :cry:

:lol:

But yea, on empty holster day, that would be FUNNY if I open carried a plastic lemon. :rotfl: