States with reciprocal firearms license agreements

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Gunstar1, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Updated 7-1

Georgia now reciprocates in recognizing firearms licenses with the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

As always, Georgia firearms permit holders should familiarize themselves with the individual requirements and limitations on firearms permits in any of the reciprocating states where they wish to exercise their rights under this reciprocity program.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Alaska!

Link to AG's web site press release:

http://www.ganet.org/ago/press/press.cg ... 0050915.01

So-

Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

I wonder why it took so long, but I am glad.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I had contacted both officials and pro-gun orgs (for them to contact those officials as well) in Alaska and Missouri for those officials to send a letterhead to our AG.

Hopefully Missouri will be added soon.

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I am glad to see that one it makes so much sense. It won't help much you could always carry in AK, and if I lived in AK I would get a FL or UT permit instead.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No, it won't help much for us visiting Alaska, true, as that situation was just fine before this announcement, but our goal here is to get Georgia to recognize as many other places as possible, allowing, for example, Alaskans to carry when visiting here. As state law currently reads, Georgia should honor all of those states that honor ours. That is why it was inexplicable that Georgia'a AG failed to place Alaska on the list for so long.

The previous explanation was that Alaska only recognized firearms license for 6 months, which was not truly honoring the license . . . :roll:

Georgia only honors a driver's license from another state for thirty days . . . but it still honors them . . .