State Senate Election Outcome

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Gunstar1, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Until certified next week, these are still unofficial results.

No incumbent was voted out of office. Though Powell of the 23rd came close, which would have been a big loss for us since he is one of only 4 A rated Senators from last session. Did I mention he is a Democrat with an A vote record? His opponent must have been a real pro-gunner since the NRA gave both an A but endorced the other guy.

Of the 5 seats that were vacated, Below are my grades of the outgoing Senator and the NRA grade (from a questionnaire) of the newly elected Senator.

Dist. 36 had a Dem I graded C was Replaced by a Dem NRA gave a F
    Dist. 43 had a Dem I graded C was Replaced by a Dem NRA gave a ?
    Dist. 44 had a Dem I graded B was Replaced by a Dem NRA gave a ?
    Dist. 46 had a Repub I graded B was Replaced by a Repub NRA gave an A
    Dist. 49 had a Repub I graded B was Replaced by a Repub NRA gave an A

It appears that someone I graded a B is usually graded an A by the NRA, and my D is typically their F. So the 3 new Democrats may be worse than the ones that quit. The new Republicans are either the same as the ones that quit or slightly better.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Many thanks for tracking these results.

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

So, are we about the same or worse than we were? Forget the Dem vs. Repub stuff, are they our kind of people or not?

I apologize for asking, but I really don't understand GAPkg vs. NRA rating.

In school I was the kid who said "OK, I think I understand it now" as the rest of the class was already working on the next chapter...

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well quite frankly, neither do I. The NRA does not show why someone got the grade. The GAPkg grade is based on how the people voted, whereas the NRA is based on surveys and other stuff.

If I were to guess as to how the new people will vote based on only the grade the NRA gave, I would say the net effect is that we are slightly worse off in the Senate than we were.

Having lost only one person that would vote for a pro-gun bill and gaining one that will probably vote against a pro-gun bill.
    2 seats are from people that might vote for or against a gun bill and the replacements may do the same or vote against all pro-gun bills.
    2 seats are from people that would vote for a pro-gun bill and the replacements probably will too.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am working on the House right now. As soon as I get the totals I will post them. Though it appears that 2 house races are too close to call/subject to recount.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The new Senator for Dist 36 is Nan Orrock. While I was looking through the House of Reps report card for the grades of the Reps who vacated their position I came across Dist. 58 Rep Nan Orrock. Both are Democrats, so I will go out on a limb and say they are the same person.

The Vote record for Rep Orrock was a C. So if they are the same person then I would have to update my previous statement. I would now say that we have a loss of one pro-gun vote. Basically a Senator that had a B (voted for all pro-gun bills) from last year will be replaced by a probable D (will probably vote against all pro-gun bills).

I should have the Reps done shortly