State Patrol encounter - accident scene

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Suprman, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Suprman

Suprman New Member

So my GF got into a fender bender on 400S today, I was just relaxing at home when she called. So I drive down to make sure shes ok and help her figure things out.

GSP was the responding agency. the first officer to the scene that handled her accident was very nice and didn't even say a word about me open carrying my Glock 23. I didn't even see him look at it. it was a great encounter.

Unfortunately, there was another wreck that I witness when we were standing on the grass waiting for the officer to arrive. A GSP Bike trooper and another crown vic pulled up to investigate that wreck. So the bike trooper comes over to us to ask what I saw. He immediately made note of the g23 hanging off my hip. he made some comments to the first responder asking if he noticed the gun, and if I had a permit. He then asked me if I had a permit, which I replied I do. He asked where is it, which I replied in my wallet. at this point I then made the comment " Am I now the one being interrogated? " which halted all further questions about the gun and returned the conversation to what I witnessed.

now for the worse part. as soon as the bike trooper noticed the gun when he first walked up, he grabbed the grip and said " just making sure its secure. I let it be known I didn't appreciate him just grabbing at the gun in a nice/polite way. Luckily I OC in a Blackhawk Serpa with the finger button for retention, or else the encounter would have really pissed me off. I felt like asking him how he'd feel if I checked his gun to make sure it was "secure", but I decided to just let it go.

Overall, a good encounter, the first responder acted like it wasn't there and even the Bike trooper only did the one thing that pissed me off, the rest of the encounter was quite smooth with no taser of handcuffs used!

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Most of it sounds pretty good, but I'm still in disbelieve that the officer would grab the grip of your gun, just to make sure it was secure. That sounds really nuts to me. It is still better than him actually disarming you, placing you in handcuffs, finding your GWL, and then running the numbers on your gun.

All in all I'd call this a win. I'm sorry the one officer grabbed your gun, though. I'm glad the one officer quit questioning you as well.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Should have called him a liar because he was definitely pulling that excuse out of his butt.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Off duty police officers and former police officers would not react well to that at all due to prior training and might react without thinking. He had no way of knowing whether you fell into one of those two categories, so his imprudent action is asking for trouble.

Knocking his arm aside and pushing him back would probably get you arrested . . .

5. smn

smn Active Member

I would not appreciate any attempt at disarmament. File an open records act and see if there's video or audio of this guy grabbing your weapon. Then file a complaint. His actions were totally uncalled for.

I'm glad your gf is safe.

6. robfromga

robfromga New Member

^^^^ this is all true

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Suprman,

Thanks for standing up for yourself. You've got balls. :righton:

8. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

What business of it is his to determine if your weapon was secured? There's no requirement for retention holsters, or holsters at all. Wasn't there recently a security guy that took it upon himself to "secure" a weapon from a carrier? How did that work out for him?

9. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

This patrolman who touched your weapon is scary! I wonder how he would have reacted if you had (WITHOUT moving your hands toward your gun) taken a bladed stance, moving your gun out of his reach...

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

And it it hadn't been ""secure"", and had come out of the holster while he was attempting to seize it, what then?
    "Oh, you're pistol isn't secured, sir, allow me to ....
    a) put it right back where I got it from, in your holster
    b) continue to seize it and carry it in my hand all day
    c) continue to seize it and place it in another officer's unit
    d) continue to seize it and stick it in my belt
    e) other :bsflag:

Just because someone can quickly come up with a laughable excuse at the drop of a hat doesn't make the excuse any less laughable.

11. juju151

juju151 Member

WOW!

Yeah, I would have been a little disturbed about him grabbing my weapon.

Would have been funny though if you had done the same to him at the same instant...actually, it probably wouldn't have been funny at all.

LOL...sorry, but when I was reading your comment about his action is when I got this visual of you both standing nose to nose trying to pull each other's pistol out of the holsters. :shattered:

12. TheLaw

TheLaw Old Time Member

To the OP - what are you doing about the situation?

13. Suprman

Suprman New Member

For a split second i thought about grabbing for his gun, but if i went to jail, that means the GF would have to drive the truck, and I didn't want two cars wrecked in the same day! :rotfl:

oh yeah :dtmb:

14. Suprman

Suprman New Member

filing a open records request when i go to pick up the police report, I highly doubt it will be on video as we were standing off to the side and it wasn't even the primary reason for the stop, but it never hurts to see what might be available.

15. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

Probably would have but I believe that is what I would have done. Not intentional but just out of instinct. Thus I would have been beat down (or drawn on) and cuffed and stuffed. Not a pretty picture at all to think about.

16. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I believe he was trying to show his dominance. After all, he probably believes he is the trained police officer, and you are just some lowly citizen that probably doesn't know what you are doing. :screwy:. If it was me my training would have kicked in and my hand would have immediately covered his while rotating my strong side hip to the rear, while my left hand struck him in the side of the neck. And if he wanted to charge me with obstruction and assault, I would immediately have my lawyer working up a lawsuit.

17. smn

smn Active Member

I don't think grabbing a holstered weapon is inside the policy bounds of the GSP. If you did it you'd likely get a felony charge. With the GSP officer doing it can it be construed he was attempting to deprive you of your fundamental civil right to keep and bear arms and unreasonable seaizeure? If you have the officer's name then follow through on a complaint.

I'd consider reaching for my weapon in that manner is about as bad as groping my wife or children.

18. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Yeah, but the GSP fella said he was just making sure it was secure. He was looking out for your safety and his! :shattered:

19. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

Who was he making sure it was secured from? This needs to be addressed and the trooper a serious reprimand.

20. livesounder

livesounder New Member

Anybody familiar with sidearms would recognize a Serpa from 10 feet away and know very well the weapon was secure. Bogus "reason".