State Parks

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by dcunited, Mar 2, 2007.

1. dcunited

dcunited Member

Has anyone requested permission to carry a firearm, particularly a handgun at a state park, for self-defense? I will be visiting one later this year, for a week and would like to carry mine there. Any experience in this area?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes someone has. They said they do not give out authorizations for what you are requesting (self defense).

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So would there be any valid reasons?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is there a thread here?

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

6. dcunited

dcunited Member

Inaccessable?

I assume by this they mean in a locked box, away from ammo, in the truck.

7. jccls

jccls New Member

Question related to this thread: When 12-3-10 says that it is "unlawful" to cary a firearm within state parks, what are the penalties? It sounds as if the worst you could get charged with is criminal trespassing, and only after you've been asked to leave and refuse. Practically speaking, is the situation basically the same as it is in malls?

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Inaccessable?

It does not specify locked or not. Not readily accessible typically means out of reach. So if it was unloaded, in a case, in a car trunk or behind the drivers seat, so that you would have to get out of the vehicle to reach it.

If you are not in a vehicle but walking around, I would suggest either a locked case or a gun lock of some sort (again not required, but unless you are backpacking and the gun buried in the pack, a lock may itself make it not readily accessible).

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

First, the penalty is criminal trespassing, as 12-3-11 says:
    As for the situation of being charged; NO it is NOT the same as it is in malls (private business). 12-3-10 also says:
    Which means if you enter the property with the intent to break a rule, you are breaking the law.

Think of it this way, you are allowed to drive on the road as long as you abide by the traffic laws (license, insurance, follow traffic signals and signs). If you are caught not following the law (such as speeding) you will more than likely get a speeding ticket (a court summons).

Well a similar situation exists for State Parks. If you enter onto State Park property concealed carrying a loaded firearm and are caught, you can be issued a court summons on the spot. Except it could cost up to $1000 per violation in a State Park.

10. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I've got to think that DNR officers don't deal with guns nearly as much as patrol cops deal with traffic violations.

I imagine getting caught by DNR with a loaded gun would result in immediate arrest. They may not be immediately familiar with the details of the law beyond "no guns allowed." I'm sure it would all get sorted eventually, but the inital confrontation would probably be very "unfriendly."

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Better not get caught then. :wink: 8)

12. jccls

jccls New Member

Which means if you enter the property with the intent to break a rule, you are breaking the law.
    If you enter onto State Park property concealed carrying a loaded firearm and are caught, you can be issued a court summons on the spot. Except it could cost up to $1000 per violation in a State Park.[/quote:rl7wfa8g]
    Is it safe to say, then, that one could not be sentenced to jail time for having a loaded gun in a state park?

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

14. jccls

jccls New Member

I'm caught on this part:

O.C.G.A. § 12-3-10(r) Any person who violates any of the provisions of this Code section commits the offense of criminal trespass.

So, if my grandson brings his metal detector (12-3-10(n)) to the park and uses it in an attempt to locate my wife's lost ring, what could happen to him? (r) makes it sound like he could be arrested on the spot and sentenced to 12 months in jail, not to mention the 1000 fine. If a violation of any of the provisions is a criminal trespass, do they really have to ask you to leave before you get cuffed?