State Parks - Coyotes?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We do, of course, have coyotes in Georgia. State Parks and WMAs are off limits.

In addition to the experience of having a bear wander through my camp in a state park (several miles from the nearest road), I am aware that there are coyotes in Georgia. They are only about fifty pounds, so why is this a carry issue?

Look here - http://www.nbc17.com/news/5067241/detail.html

Coyote attacks man and four year old grandson from behind in Massachussetts, of all places.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

For some reason liberals think that a CCW is far more deadly than criminals or wild animals. The only time that opinion is likely to change is if the liberal is the victim.

I have talked with people who live in a high crime rate city and they feel they are safer than someone in a low crime rate city that has CCW. :roll:

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

small furry critters

A 50-pound coyote can probably hurt you, even if it's not rabid. But what amazes me are the number of people who want to have a weapon to protect themselves from various small, furry critters in the 10-20 pound weight range. Opossums, Racoons, Foxes, Armdillos..

People, have you ever seen anybody "punt" a football? Or kick a field goal? Same idea, except this time the ball has eyes (which will bulge tremendously a millisecond after foot contact) and leaves a trail of excrement as it sails skyward. Who needs a gun? I mean, if you attacked an elephant, do you think it would need to gore you with its tusks (using a weapon) to put you down?

Now don't get me wrong-- I love animals and I don't fear them when I encounter them in the woods. But if some little furry critter the size of a house cat came after me in a threatening way, I wouldn't need a gun to take care of business.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Gunsmoker, you probably are correct, but there are other scenarios where the jack boot may not work (or at least it would be far from ideal). First, I have had a coyote in my yard. They are known (in GA) to attack small domesticated animals, some of which I own. When I see a coyote in my yard, I make sure his jaws are empty when he leaves.

As for the smaller critters, one night my 6-pound dog was barking her head off outside. I went out with a mag light to find the dog in a standoff with an oppossum, jaws open and growling up a storm. It was not a situation that could have been diffused with a kick to the oppossum's ribs. I paid a lot of money for my dog, and she's been part of my family for several years. It's not always about self-protection.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I had the same situation. I restrained my dog, and the 'possum fled.

Man, those jaws make the loudest snapping noise I have ever heard.

But the most amazing thing about those creatures is the look on their face when you are about to run them over (unintentionally). They turn to look right at the car before it hits, and they open their eyes and mouth very wide. It really looks like a horrified scream!

:shock:

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Mean growl and nasty-looking teeth, too.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

TIM: Well, that's no ordinary 'possum!

ARTHUR: Ohh.

TIM: That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

While he did appear to have razor-sharp fangs, he did not lunge from the ground to my throat.

9. Malum Prohibitum

According to Tim the Enchanter, it "[has] a vicious streak a mile wide!"

A picture of this vicious creature is in this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_of_Caerbannog

. . . no one who attempts to enter the Cave or face the monster has ever survived . . .

10. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

As the resident wildlife biologist... I think I will keep my comments to myself. :cantsay:

11. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

My dad has always told me and i have told others that "possums never bite". It may be a wives tale, but it seems true to me since i can walk up to any possum and just pick it up( if it doesnt just run away first) and they never seem to bite. I have done it many times and will do it again. i have even trapped some in live traps that needed to be moved to another location(too many visits to the feed barn) and even with the snapping and hissing i can reach right in and grab them out barehanded cause they just don't bite....

and as some would say " I am not your lawyer" or "this is not legal advice"

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I see this is an old thread but i will tell you what the GW said on open day of trout season while i was on Coopers Creek WMA.

I of course had my shotgun as it was turkey season but also my .40

He told me he didn't care if i carried it as long as it was on my side and covered? is it still ilegal...yep... but for a while the record black bear was from up there and i have seen a lot of snakes... and i carry it under my waders....

i have also found that once you get up past Dahlonega people are so much more nicer and you can talk to the GW and LEO's and they are so much more level headed.

13. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

It ain't the possums or the coyotes that worry me when I'm out.
    It's the snakes, wild dogs & feral pigs.

I traipse through a lot of crap that DNR won't go through unless it's a search & rescue and have come up on cotton mouths and wild pigs on many occasions. (not much worse than being hip deep in swampy muck, about to step up on a tiny little island of grass & tree & realize that mister water moccasin is all nice & comfy curled up staring at you eye to eye just a foot or so away :shock: ) Luckily I have a very effective guardian angel and he/she (I'd give anything to know who it is/was & what their favorite charity is because, if it's just one being, I owe them SOOOOO many times over since I was a teen!) has been able to make sure I had a bad feeling before taking that next step & "maybe you should look at that funny root just a tiny bit closer first".

14. Malum Prohibitum

It ain't the possums or the coyotes or the snakes or the wild dogs and feral pigs that worry me when I'm out.

Its people.

15. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

and LEO's....

....and lawyers! :lol:

16. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

+1

:rotfl:

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Bipedal predators are worse. Their actions are less predictable.