State Park Gun Possession in Car Question

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ntech, Sep 24, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

Is it legal for me to have a weapon unloaded, separated from its ammunitionn, and not readily accessible in my vehicle while visiting any state park or recreation area?

Does this apply to all parks? I understand that I cannot carry outside of my vehicle, but it would be nice to know if I can keep my firearm in my car legally. I wouldn't have to leave it at home.

2. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

3. ntech

ntech Member

Does anybody have any idea about what readily accessible is? Would having your firearm unloaded in the glove compartment work? Has anybody had any experience with LEO's concerning this topic?

4. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I was at amicalola falls yesterday :cantsay:

5. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

That's a good question and one I've wondered about too.

To me, readily accessible means that upon needing my weapon I would have it ready and presented on target in under 2 seconds. So....given that, if I keep my ammo in a speed loader and the gun in my pocket, it could take 10 seconds for me to load and be ready to use. That is a 500% increase in time and I believe it is no longer 'readily" accessible.

It's all relative. Who defines readily accessible? Who sets the standard?

6. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

12 people who weren't clever enough to get out of jury duty. :lol:

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Accessible or Functional ?

The law doesn't say that the gun can be within your reach so long as it is unloaded, locked, disabled, or otherwise incapable of being fired. It says the gun shall be BOTH unloaded AND inaccessible.

That may not have been what the legislature meant, but that's what they wrote, and that's the text of the law, so I would not say that you're legally OK with an unloaded gun within easy reach and some ammo stored nearby.

8. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

Re: Accessible or Functional ?

It says "readily accessible" not just accessible. How is readily defined?

According to the American Heritage Dictionary readily is defined as: In a prompt, timely manner, promptly.

What does prompt mean? Again according to the same source: Carried out or performed WITHOUT DELAY (emphasis mine).

Well, in the event that you are faced with life threatening danger anything other than in my hand is not 'readily accessible'.

Would that hold up in a court of law?

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Your gun needs to be unloaded and stored in such a way that if the SHTF you would not be able to use it for self-defense.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That is pretty much it.

I have heard it referred to as out of the drivers reach. To me that means not in the console or glove box, but probably cased inside the trunk.

11. ntech

ntech Member

I have an SUV with an uncovered trunk area...I'm screwed any way I look at it.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

No, you can put guns back there just fine unless you're Stretch Armstrong.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No, I meant trunk as in a place unreachable by the driver unless they either get out of the car to open the trunk or crawl from the Drivers seat to the back passenger seat and reach over/around/through the back seat to reach the firearm (which is unloaded).

If you can lean over from the drivers seat and reach the firearm, then it is probably accessible and would be against the law.