State park carry...

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by pballfreeek, Jun 10, 2006.

1. pballfreeek

pballfreeek New Member

If caught carring in a state park am I correct in my reading to understand that they will just ask me to leave and there is no problem unless I refuse?

2. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

I'm considering taking the family on some camping trips and was wondering if anyone has ever successfully petitioned the "commissioner" and got authorization to carry in a GA State Park.

It does appear that you can have a weapon with you but not loaded. Is it acceptable to have it in a case unloaded and ammo in another "box"? What is "not readily accessible"? Is that defined by distance from the weapon or time it takes to make it ready to use? I would hope I could put the gun and a loaded mag into a box together and then open the box, insert mag, cock and ...

I mean if the ultimate in "readily accessible" is loaded and on your person, then having it is a box with magazine out would not be all that readily accessible if you ask me. Any case studies on this area?

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

A forum member reported that the DNR does not give out any such authorization.

4. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

OK, so the commissioner makes no exceptions. I guess that makes it easier for them. Never have to make a judgement call that way.

But what about the phrase "readily accessible"? What constitutes NOT readily accessible?

5. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

My wife and are planning to take a trip to Tennessee in the next few weeks and we will be traveling through the Great smokey Mountaians National Park on the way back home. My question is: If I secure my pistol unloaded in it's case and keep my ammo under my car seat is that acceptable within the TN statute? Since I would have to exist my car inorder to get to my pistol to load it with ammo. I do not plan to carry it while we travel through the park.

6. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

OK I've been reading more about the law and I'm no expert but here is what I'm seeing regarding my question on guns in state parks. In particular the definition of unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible.

If I read the law correctly, code section 16-11-132 where it speaks to the definition of a loaded firearm is in regards to persons under the age of 18. The code section title is "Possession of pistol or revolver by persons under the age of 18". It states, "For the purposes of this code section, a pistol or revolver is considered loaded if:". Does this definition then not apply to those over 18? I can't find a definition of loaded anywhere else in the code.

The state park section of the law says you can't have a firearm "unless the device is unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible". So a firearm in a carry case with no inserted magazine or ammo in the cylinder should satisfy the unloaded portion of the law as well as the readily accessible portion since you have to open the case to get at it, not to mention you still have to load the ammo somehow.

Can someone help me make sense of this?

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think you need to look at the federal regulations on that one (and take a look at VCDL's petition for rulemaking to the Department of the Interior).

9. kkennett

kkennett New Member

My experience in state parks is that there are two things that every camper has and is not supposed to: alcohol and a gun. My experience has also been that as long as you're discreet with both, the rangers won't bother you. Do they really expect people in Georgia to sleep in a tent in the woods (potentially in some out of the way place) without some form of protection?

10. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

According to the DNR, disarming IS your protection.

[​IMG]