State of the Union

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Nemo, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

speech will be next Tuesday. Democratic response will be a Georgia Governor candidate. My nickel says it backfires and is more Rep supportive than Dem.

Nemo

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/st...ocratic-response-to-trumps-state-of-the-union

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

They can chose Bozo The Clown if they want (and may have) - it doesn't matter for me as I won't be watching the Dem response to the SOTU.

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I have watched the democratic response in the past but I doubt I will listen to her liberal yapping.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't know anything about Abrams, but judging by the posts of her supporters on social media, I assume she'd appealing for the bloomin' idiot vote, the crackhead vote, the 10-kids by 7 different babydaddies trashy women vote, the communist vote, and all the anti-American votes.

I wonder if SHE will get to make her own response, or will she be handed a "fresh off the presses" script created by Democrat publicists, and Abrams will be told to just read it.

If she actually listens to the President's speech and rebuts his points with points of her own, in her own words, I'd like to see that. I want to know how she thinks. But I doubt the party will let her do it. She's just an Affirmative Action placeholder to them.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I think thats what they did.

Nemo

6. 82A1

82A1 Member

I think she is a useful idiot to the Democrats. Trump is likely to talk about how the Democrats don't want border security, and the bad things that are happening because if it. This way no Democrat in office has to explain why they voted for lax security to their voters.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I thought they used a member of Congress. Have they gone outside of Congress before?

8. wee

wee Active Member

Say what you want about Abrams but when she is speaking off the cuff she is articulate and very well spoken. That said I don't agree with any of her ideas and she couldn't get my vote if she was running by herself. If they were to let her just give an honest (in her mind) response the media would give her praise like never seen before and would suggest she run for President in 2020....Well OK maybe Vice President.

Brian

9. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Yes, some governors and maybe others have given the opposition party's reply.

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Mornay from Braveheart.....

"I'd say that was rather less cordial than she was used to."

11. moe mensale

Easy there. Our first foray into Presidential Diversity didn't work out so well. Obama was pretty much a nothing until he delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Nevertheless, it is hard to argue against the proposition that skin color matters a lot to many voters.

13. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I will be watching while sipping some hot cocoa.

Attached Files:

14. Malum Prohibitum

Is it going to be streamed live on the internet? I don't have TV.

15. RedDawnTheMusical

I was wondering that. Why would someone not in congress would be giving the rebuttal to the SOTU. What does this woman know about the SOTU? She's not in Congress, not a governor, etc.

16. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

It looks like it was always Congressmen from 1966 until 1985, when Governors Bill Clinton and Bob Graham responded to President Ronald Reagan, and Governors/Congressmen until last year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_to_the_State_of_the_Union_address

Incidentally, Gerald Ford, George H. W. Bush, and Bill Clinton are the only three who both gave a response and the SOTU itself.

Last year, they had a VA State Delegate respond in Spanish. This year is a former GA State Representative and the CA State Attorney General.

In 1972, they did a call-in show as a response.

17. moe mensale

She, not unlike Obama, is an up and coming S T A R of the democrat communist party. How does Harris/Abrams 2020 sound? :love:

18. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

They are teeing her op for the next Georgia Senate race. She is going to beat the "voter suppression" drum. If Kemp was trying to suppress the minority vote, he truly sucked at it. Abrams lost with more votes than Deal won with only four years earlier. What's the old lawyer joke about facts and law and when you have neither?

19. RedDawnTheMusical

Frightening.

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I heard part of her speech and basically she continued to gripe about losing the Governors race.