Startpage

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by Taurus92, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

One thing I like about search page startpage.com other than its claim of privacy is the display of dates along with the links. You can see how old a link is in many cases.

But, why does a search using the option "site:georgiapacking.org" find nothing or next to nothing? Do they not like us? Bing, duckduckgo, google, etc. finds many hits, but startpage really stands out with no hits or very few hits.

2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

The first 18 links are georgiapacking.org for me when I search "georgiapacking".

3. Taurus92

Only 1 from startpage

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 07:31:07.jpg

vs. pages from duckduckgo

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 07:28:33.jpg

4. Mrs_Esterhouse

You need to set it to not filter results.

5. Taurus92

There's only two filters, adult language and adult video. Language is set to Do not filter and video shouldn't matter. This only is an issue with startpage.

6. Taurus92

Seems unique to this site.

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 12:05:31.jpg

vs.

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 12:03:02.jpg

vs.

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 12:09:32.jpg

7. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

I'm just spitballin' here, but maybe - just maybe - StartPage just ain't that great a search engine...

Just sayin'...

8. Taurus92

Maybe not, but they sure seem to have something against georgiapacking.org. I use several search engines and noticed the results were not the same as Google (without the tracking), which is startpage's claim. Just thought TPTB here might like to know, but maybe they already know that.

9. Mrs_Esterhouse

10. Taurus92

Maybe Startpage isn't even a search engine in the traditional sense.

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 14:14:09.png

11. Taurus92

I noticed when I went to Startpage's advanced page, instead of using "site", they used "host", but here's the result when I just drop the "site". Two hits returned.

Screenshot from 2017-08-08 14:18:32.jpg

12. Taurus92

On startpage, went to settings and selected "clear settings"
    searched for "project veritas www.georgiapacking.org"
    Using Firefox on a Windows 7 machine, I get 5 hits.
    Using Firefox on a Linux Mint machine, I get 2 hits.
    On the Linux box, google returned 67K hits (because "site:" is missing, so not surprising). With "site:", 6 hits.

Like I said, I use several search engines, so I'll just know not to do a site specific search for www.georgiapacking.org on startpage.

13. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

So is there really an issue I need to address here guys?

14. Taurus92

I can certainly get around it by using a different search engine for my "georgiapacking.org" queries, so I'm okay there. It does cause me concern if startpage is doing this for select sites, georgiapacking being one of them. If it is in fact happening to other "startpage" users, it would indicate that georgiapacking.org results are not being passed by to the person doing the query even if it is not site specific. I would think that would be a problem for you/the owners too. I'm not thrilled about getting incomplete results, but that is why I use multiple search engines.

If no one else can duplicate the issue, then it sounds isolated to me. No one else seems to be having the same issue or possibly not using startpage. At this point, I've given you as much info as I have, so I'll leave it up to you.
    Thanks.

15. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

I doubt it. Your robots.txt file is empty, so the site should be open to all crawlers AFAIK. Likely to be at the startpage end.

16. Taurus92

I would think the problem lies with startpage. They claim to take the query and pass it to google, so theoretically what I get from google I should also get back from startpage, just anonymously. startpage may not even have a crawler. I'm guessing they either filter the results, messed up the parse before passing to google or messed up the results before presenting it to me. My examples are limited, but georgiapacking has a rather low hit rate.

17. Taurus92

Said I was done, but did one more search. Frequently I use search engines because the search term is too short for a forum search, and they just (usually) work better.

On a different machine (Windows 7 w/Firefox) I searched google for "tsa site:www.georgiapacking.org" and had 745 hits. On that same machine I searched startpage and had one hit. I dropped the "site:" for "tsa www.georgiapacking.org" on startpage and had 8 hits.

Now I'm done.

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It's a Starpage issue, not a forum issue.

19. Taurus92

As long as one doesn't care if startpage traffic doesn't find the forum, that's true.

If search engines start filtering out sites intentionally or inadvertently, it will make it more difficult to get real information out in order to get laws passed. Just a thought.

20. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'll see what I can do, but I've been told development is on hold till we upgrade. No ETA on that yet. I know we were going to try but ran into issues with the bills page so decided to upgrade a few of our smaller sites and smooth out our procedure. Like I said, I'll let you guys know.