Starter Problem

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by a_springfield, Nov 21, 2010.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I bought a 2005 wrangler the other day and now when I start it makes a grinding noise for a second or two after it cranks. I think it is the starter not fully disengaging. Would it be better to replace the solenoid or the whole starter. How soon should I replace this?

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Check the battery....that's the second time this week I've offered that advice....BTY I'm not a mechanic.

3. howie1932

howie1932 New Member

If it's grinding after the vehicle starts it's because it's not disengaging from the flywheel. I don't know about Jeep's specifically, but usually on RWD and 4WD vehicles it's easier to just replace the starter. You will probably have to pull it off the vehicle to get the solenoid anyway. Plus if it's grinding bad, it could be wearing out the starter gear.

4. Arkimedes

Arkimedes New Member

What Howie said. It sounds like the starter gear isn't disengaging after start-up. It sounds like it could be wearing out or the jackshaft is jamming up somehow before completely disengaging. Shouldn't be too difficult to change out though if needed.

5. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

Probably the starter, but I would recommend doing some research on the distributor/camshaft gear issue that has been an issue with 2005 and 2006 4.0s as well... It apparently results in a chattering noise on startup right before it lets go completely :) I believe 2005s were subject to a recall that doesn't permanently fix the issue but just gets you going for a few more years, 2006 owners are pretty much out of luck.