Start the clock: 10/18/07, Fulton Co., downtown

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by Boy Racer, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

The wife applied in downtown Atlanta (136 Pryor Street) this morning. Electronic prints. She wrote me that when she requested a temporary license, the answer was simply 'no'.

They also told her 4-6 weeks to get it in the mail.

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Can't you only request a temp license on a renewal? My understanding is that since you have a GFL you were likely still in the good graces of the law and could be issued a temp license so yours didn't completely lapse during the renewal process.

3. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I was under the impression that they also issue temporaries, until your permanent license arrives, for new applicants (If there's no reason not to issue in the first place).

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

But how do they know there is no reason "not to issue" in the first place without first running the background check?

5. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I mean supplying all the relevant information: ID, application, funds, clearing the NICS check (which they can do on site).

No, I didn't mean clearing the FBI/GBI check. That's the reason for the 60+ day wait; I understand that.

If it appears at first that all the required submittals have been made, and you pass the instant check, you should be issued a temporary license which would serve as your license until your permanent license can be issued. If your permanent license is denied, your temporary becomes null & void anyway (a worthless piece of paper), as you are not qualified to carry in Georgia.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Temporaries are for renewals only.

The good news is that if the prints were submitted electronically, the GCIC check is already completed by the time you started this thread. Now you have to wait on NCIC, which already has it (again, this is done electronically).

Then there is the NICS check. This is an instant check. Unfortunately, instant depends upon when they bother to run it.

7. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

:gotmail:
    :woohoo:

46 days I think, including weekends? Not too shabby. Beats the hell out of the 186 days it took for my license. :roll:

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Congrats! I'm glad Fulton got another one in under 60 days. Hopefully this downward trend will continue to the point where they mail you your license on your birthday.