Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it usually a good idea to replace the guide rod in a Sig P series to a stainless steel? have any of yall done it before and does it help with muzzle flip and recoil?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Are you talking about switching out the plastic guide rod to a metal guide rod? I didn't have to do that in my Sig as it had a metal one, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EJR914 said:
Are you talking about switching out the plastic guide rod to a metal guide rod? I didn't have to do that in my Sig as it had a metal one, but I would do it in a heartbeat.
Correct.

·
Swollen Member
11,937 Posts
rabbivj said:
EJR914 said:
Correct.
http://guiderod.com
They do help with muzzle flip, and Steve does a great job.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I been meaning to order one for my P228R....my P239 is older one with metal rod from factory.

I believe SS guide rods are solid, unlike the factory metal ones which are hollow. Not sure how much it will help with recoil for .40S&W though....

·
Swollen Member
11,937 Posts
1clearshot said:
I been meaning to order one for my P228R....my P239 is older one with metal rod from factory.

I believe SS guide rods are solid, unlike the factory metal ones which are hollow. Not sure how much it will help with recoil for .40S&W though....
It helps with 357SIG. I'm sure it will with 40.

·
Swollen Member
11,937 Posts
1clearshot said:
Thanks for the link Mrs_E. I wonder what would be a good finish to put on SS guide rod :?:
I would leave it plain with a light coat of oil. Stainless is more slippery without a finish. I have the plain, non-checkered end. It looks really nice on a black gun. If you are worried about reflectivity, it's a non-issue. The end of the rod with the slide closed is the same size as the "O" on your keyboard.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
I would leave it plain with a light coat of oil. Stainless is more slippery without a finish. I have the plain, non-checkered end. It looks really nice on a black gun.
Thank you. I'll try that first....I might add some nickel finished controls later. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts