St. Louis PD selling off 27 Colt Thompson SMG's

Discussion in 'In the News' started by UtiPossidetis, Jun 1, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The St. Louis Police Department is selling off a $1.2 million stash of firearms, including 27 Thompson submachine guns, to help fund the purchase of new Beretta pistols and AR-15 rifles for officers, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

A Class III dealer is paying $22K each for the Thompsons. The department's collection also includes some rare Colts.

An article in the St. Louis Times-Dispatch says the police department originally paid $125 for each Thompson.

Here are a couple of photos of some of the Thompsons that'll be sold. They've been stored in the basement for sixty years! Who knows what sort of history those guns have!

[​IMG][​IMG]

As I read the original article something occurred to me: Those weapons are probably second only to Chicago and FBI Thompson's for potential rich provenance. The broker is quoted as saying he found the original purchase paperwork on the Thomsons ($175 each in the 1920s BTW). They are also buying 1,748 Beretta handguns for about $221 apiece.

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep, it's only taxpayer money.

Would be nice to see them in the people's hands again, though.

3. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Only god knows if they are still even operational

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

They are according to sources on other sites who have contacted the auction house.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Such happens when you artificially depress the supply of an item. I wonder what the street prices will be when these finally get released to the public?