SSN - Privacy Law and Firearms License Applications

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

An Order issued just yesterday from the federal district court in Atlanta, ordering the Carroll County Probate Court to process an application for a renewal GFL and issue a temporary GFL without receiving from the applicant his social security number.

Link: http://www.georgiapacking.org/SSN_TRO.pdf

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Thats a good start :woohoo:

I am assuming we're waiting on a final (Permanent)ruling :?:

3. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Hey!! Judge Pannell is my cousin!!! Way to go cuz! =D>

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Once it is settled, someone needs to let Fulton and DeKalb county's probate court know about it. :twisted:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Nobody has yet requested a permanent injunction, other than in the original petition, which has yet to be answered. There was a very urgent time consideration in this case due to the expiration of the previous license. This Order is merely a preliminary ruling that prevented a specific harm to a specific person, ordered on a very time sensitive basis to prevent that harm from continuing.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Very nice! Good show.

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

MP are you familer with this case? Is that the target outcome?

8. Malum Prohibitum

Both jrm and I represent the plaintiff in this case, who is also a member of the forum.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Ber950, to answer your second question, a permanent injunction was requested in the complaint, which just was filed on July 5. It's a little early to know what the outcome will be.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Thanks for your work guys. :righton:

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Thanks guys

Malum and JRM, thanks to you guys, and the plaintiff, for taking on this challenge. I have LONG been an advocate for not making people disclose Social Security Numbers unnecessarily. Where it is truly necessary to identify who you are dealing with, sometimes using a SSN is a convenient alternative to other means, but those other means should always be an option to somebody who values their privacy and wants to protect themselves from identity theft and credit fraud.

In my opinion, running a person's SSN through a criminal database is equally likely to trigger "false positive" hits -- it may turn up arrest records or outstanding warrants on some other dude who may have either lied on his arrest and booking report when asked his SSN, or the arrestee may have mistakenly transposed a few digits on his SSN, or some other person doing data entry in a police department computer put in the wrong SSN. That would result in not only "your" genuine criminal history showing up on your report, but also all the criminal history of that other dude as well.

12. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I don't have to worry about my SSN getting in the wrong hands, the VA alreadu too care of that.... :x

13. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Good work, Malum and JRM. =D> I can't wait to hear what Carroll County has to say about this case...

Out of curiosity, who would represent the Carroll County Probate Court in Federal Court?

14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The Carroll County attorney is representing the probate judge.

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

We have information indicating that SSNs no longer will be required, state-wide. This has not been formalized yet, so I don't have more details. But, if anybody is required to give an SSN for a new or renewal GFL, or if anybody knows anybody that is required to give an SSN or a new or renewal GFL, please let me know via PM.

I'll post more information as it becomes available.

16. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

JRM, are they going to still require employment info as well?

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

ICP Juggalo, thanks for asking, as I didn't mention the employment information in my post.

The indication is that neither SSN nor employment information will be required. So, to clarify, I would like to hear from anyone who is required to provide a SSN or employment info.

18. Malum Prohibitum

In Georgia, our state law says that the form should be designed to elicit only such information as is pertinent to the applicant's eligibility. Eligibility requirements are listed in the statute, and, last time I checked, employment was not listed.

19. Malum Prohibitum

It looks like this gentleman was required to give both in Coweta Probate Court just last week, as well as being denied a temporary license when requested even without the judge knowing or being made aware of a fact affecting his eligibility (page 3, squarebab):

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator