Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know about a company called GGG? Cheaper than Dirt has 1000 rounds for $259 and free shipping. I'm ready to order but value your opinion . Brass case FMJ with steel in front of lead.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
It is steel core - 27% - and they say that its the same as Green Tip without the actual green tip.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone interested I found a $10. off code . If you order this ammo there is a place for promo code. Use EM5KTH1 . I'm getting 1000 rounds of what is supposed to be military SS-109 62g ammo for $249 delivered .

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My understanding the green tip is for US military(and a few allies) to differentiate between 55gr for M16/M16A1 and 62gr for M16A2/M16A3/M4/M249/etc.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Well, yeah, but the green tip means there's a steel section just under the tip of the bullet and ahead of the main lead core, which makes up the super-majority of the bullet core (both by volume and by weight).
The question is, if it's NOT "green tip" then what kind of steel core does it have? What shape, what size, what mass/ weight?

There appear to be a lot of different types of steel cores, most of which do not look like the sharply pointed penetrating cores of AP bullets, but of course any steel in the tip of a bullet will slow down its deformation and let it penetrate better.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Someone who knows more can correct me, but I'm pretty sure SS 109 and M855 "green tip" refer to the same thing. The difference is the paint.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Wiki is our friend.
In 1970, NATO decided to standardize a second rifle caliber. Tests were conducted from 1977 to 1980 using U.S. XM177 5.56 mm, Belgian SS109 5.56 mm, British 4.85Ã-49mm, and German 4.7Ã-33mm caseless. No weapon could be agreed upon, as many were prototypes, but the SS109 was found to be the best round and standardized on October 28, 1980. The SS109 was developed in the 1970s for the FN FNC rifle and the FN Minimi machine gun. To increase the range of the Minimi, the round was created to penetrate 3.5 mm of steel at 600 meters. The SS109 had a steel tip and lead rear and was not required to penetrate body armor. Barrels required at least a 1:9 in rifle twist, but needed a 1:7 in rifle twist to fire tracer ammunition.[29][37][41] The U.S. designated the SS109 cartridge the M855 and first used it in the M16A2 rifle. The 62-grain round was heavier than the previous 55-grain M193. While the M855 had better armor penetrating ability, it is less likely to fragment after hitting a soft target. This lessens kinetic energy transfer to the target and reduces wounding capability.[77] The M855 is yaw dependent, meaning it depends on the angle upon which it hits the target. If at a good angle, the round turns as it enters soft tissue, breaking apart and transferring its energy to what it hits. If impacting at a bad angle, it could pass through and fail to transfer its full energy.[43] The SS109 was made to pierce steel helmets at long range from the Minimi, not improve terminal performance on soft tissue from rifles or carbines.[33] In Iraq, troops that engaged insurgents at less than 150 yards found that M855 rounds did not provide enough stopping power. In addition to not causing lethal effects with two or more rounds, they did not effectively penetrate vehicle windshields, even with many rounds fired at extremely close range.[78] In Afghanistan, troops found that M855 rounds also suffered at long ranges. Although 5.56 mm rifles have an effective range of 450â€"600 meters, the M855 bullet's performance falls off sharply beyond 300 meters. The ranges are even shorter for short-barreled carbines. Half of small-arms attacks were launched from 300â€"900 meter ranges.[79] An M855 fired from an M4 Carbine has severely degraded performance beyond 150 meters.[33]

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Someone who knows more can correct me, but I'm pretty sure SS 109 and M855 "green tip" refer to the same thing. The difference is the paint.
M855 is the US designation for the Belgian SS109 62gr steel penetrator bullet. European produced SS109 doesn't have a green tip. The green tip is a US military thing to differentiate the M855 from the M193 which was standard issue until the M16A2 was introduced in the early 1980s. The M193 was never a NATO or European round.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my ammo today. The sent a sales flyer. Ammo now listed at$359. Came in a sealed army type ammo can with security seal .

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Got mine yesterday. Very pleased. They had some tulammo 62 grain hp for $200/1000 that almost got added to the cart as well but I restrained myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts