Squad car lockups for shotguns: How secure are they?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Cavediver, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

I'm looking at a fast access setup for locking up a shotgun. I'm considering the cuff style locks that are used in police cars and would like to hear some opinions. How solid are these things? Assuming it is mounted properly, what would it take to remove a gun without the key?
    Big Sky rack
    Lock by Santa Cruz

I'm not planning on using the electrical operation yet, but that will come into play in my next house. Right now I'm going to use the key, unlocking it when I'm home and locking it while I'm away. This will make one shotgun upstairs and one downstairs in the regular gun safe, leaving us with reasonably fast access to either one in case of emergency.

My main concern is theft prevention. I don't care if someone destroys the gun trying to remove it, I just want to do my best to keep it out of use (either after theft or against me if I walk in on a burglary attampt :shock: ).

***If you're wondering, I'm considering mounting it to plate steel and then fastening it to several wall studs, perhaps in 2-3 directions. Sort of an L-shaped arrangement mounted in the corner of a closet.

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I'm guessing you're concerned about children or visitors. My "closet gun" simply is on a shelf, where it's easily accessible to me, but not the grandkids.

I think a HD shotgun could also be placed in a high location, but if you need total and complete control, I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

3. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Kids and visitors don't worry me too much. I'm hoping to come up with a secure, super-fast access setup without the size and weight of a real safe. In the end, it would probalby be cheaper to buy another smallish safe, but we don't have room for it.

4. mswicord

mswicord New Member

I see you have 2 options:

1 take it with you when you leave......it is ok to carry a shotgun in your truck in Georgia......

2 if you live in that bad of a neighbor hood you need to arm a ring of claymore mines around your house when you leave.

I have things in the house I'm more worried about being stolen than a shotgun....I also hope the theif comes when I'm home....

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I hope the thief opts to burglarize the police department instead. Saves everyone a bunch of headaches and makes for great news!

6. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

1) I don't want to carry it around or mess with it on a daily basis, hence the search for a small and secure locking device.

2) The monetary value of the gun has nothing to do with this. I just don't want it to be stolen and the used in the comission of a crime...

7. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

They are secure in the fact that you have to get a tiny key into a little bitty hole at an awkward angle under duress.

8. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

With all the technology you would think they could make it a bit easier for the good guys trying to save their A$$. Got to love governmental thinking!

9. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Good point.

I decided to buy one of these: Santa Cruz home setup.
    I'm going to do a little "security testing" before I install it; if it doesn't meet my needs I'll have to send it back. If I feel it's a good option, I will install it, unlocking it every night before going to sleep.