Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12 ... tax-rates/

The president is also expected to emphasize the need to make workers more competitive in a global economy. He will call for a "Sputnik" moment that demonstrates -- the way the Soviet Union did with its 1957 earth-orbiting satellite -- a major advancement in innovation and technology that led to the space race.
Anyone still doubting the source of his inspirations?

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I don't think it at all odd that he would choose a Soviet example to illustrate his plan. It's not like there are many American examples to choose from. :cantsay: :cantsay: :cantsay:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
I don't think it at all odd that he would choose a Soviet example to illustrate his plan. It's not like there are many American examples to choose from. :cantsay: :cantsay: :cantsay:
:lol: :righton:

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
AV8R said:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/06/obama-push-unemployment-benefits-condition-extending-tax-rates/

The president is also expected to emphasize the need to make workers more competitive in a global economy. He will call for a "Sputnik" moment that demonstrates -- the way the Soviet Union did with its 1957 earth-orbiting satellite -- a major advancement in innovation and technology that led to the space race.
Anyone still doubting the source of his inspirations?
You spelled "aspirations" wrong...

·
16,485 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
What was the last Sputnuk-level event we had? The only thing I can think of was the Manhattan Project, which probably isn't the type of research he wants to encourage.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I think Sputnik was an excellent example. It certainly got our ass in gear with regards to space exploration and lots of technological advances resulted from it.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
budder said:
Fallschirmjäger said:
What was the last Sputnuk-level event we had? The only thing I can think of was the Manhattan Project, which probably isn't the type of research he wants to encourage.
Sputnik, was a ball in space going '"beep...beep....beep". All it proved was that if you throw something higher it takes longer to come back to earth, which everyone was already pretty durn sure about. It was the invention of liquid fueled rockets in the US that allowed it to happen.
Sputnik, did not provide any advances, but it Did encourage the "space race" of two super powers competing against each other. Is that what Obama had in mind when he came up with it, encouraging other countries to compete with us? The Soviet Union, the country of origin for Sputnik didn't come off too well in that race, if I remember.

Oh the other hand, I can think of a few inventions by the US that have demonstrably grown economies and furthered civilization - -
ARPANET, which everyone today recognizes as the internet
the assembly line
the transistor
the integrated circuit
the personal computer
the computer floppy drive
the computer hard drive
the compact disk
television (although its merits are debatable)
mobile phones (ditto)

If anything, the invention of the personal computer itself revolutionized the world quicker, and to a greater degree than any invention before.

·
16,485 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
budder said:
[quote="Fallschirmjäger":3qci80d7]I don't think it at all odd that he would choose a Soviet example to illustrate his plan. It's not like there are many American examples to choose from. :cantsay: :cantsay: :cantsay:
Sputnik, was a ball in space going '"beep...beep....beep". All it proved was that if you throw something higher it takes longer to come back to earth, which everyone was already pretty durn sure about. It was the invention of liquid fueled rockets in the US that allowed it to happen.
Sputnik, did not provide any advances, but it Did encourage the "space race" of two super powers competing against each other. Is that what Obama had in mind when he came up with it, encouraging other countries to compete with us? The Soviet Union, the country of origin for Sputnik didn't come off too well in that race, if I remember.

Oh the other hand, I can think of a few inventions by the US that have demonstrably grown economies and furthered civilization - -
ARPANET, which everyone today recognizes as the internet
the assembly line
the transistor
the integrated circuit
the personal computer
the computer floppy drive
the computer hard drive
the compact disk
television (although its merits are debatable)
mobile phones (ditto)

If anything, the invention of the personal computer itself revolutionized the world quicker, and to a greater degree than any invention before.[/quote:3qci80d7]
The assembly line and transistor were post-Sputnik? The computer (not just personal computer) has had a tremendous effect, but I don't think it's to the level of Sputnik. It's certainly close enough that I'll concede the point, thought I don't think it was as globally-inspiring as Sputnik was, which can be shown by how long it took for them to catch on for business and personal use.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
budder said:
The computer (not just personal computer) has had a tremendous effect, but I don't think it's to the level of Sputnik. It's certainly close enough that I'll concede the point, thought I don't think it was as globally-inspiring as Sputnik was, which can be shown by how long it took for them to catch on for business and personal use.
What kind of phone do you have, Budder?

·
16,485 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
budder said:
The computer (not just personal computer) has had a tremendous effect, but I don't think it's to the level of Sputnik. It's certainly close enough that I'll concede the point, thought I don't think it was as globally-inspiring as Sputnik was, which can be shown by how long it took for them to catch on for business and personal use.
Relevance? Are you trying to compare phone development to the space race?

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
budder said:
CoffeeMate said:
budder said:
budder said:
The computer (not just personal computer) has had a tremendous effect...

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
budder said:
Unless you're using one that exclusively uses land lines.

What about cordless power tools, got any of those?

How about anything with velcro?

Ever heard of "freeze dried" foods like MRE's?

What about athletic shoes?

Any smoke detectors in your home?

The list goes on and on...

Another Sputnik moment would be great.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Light Bulb.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts