Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Springfield XDM 9mm or CZSP01 Phantom

1K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  dfbaseball 
#1 ·
Anyone have personal comparisons for either of these?

Have read some opinions on each gun, but not how they compare.

Planning on purchasing a new pistol this month and can't decide what to get!

#2 ·
I guess I should state the purpose of the gun to be helpful.

I have a .380 acp for CC purposes.

This gun would just be an addistion to home defense as well as some additional fun at the range.

I'm not 100% sold on either of them. I picked up about 11 different 9mm guns at the store the other day and these are the ones that felt best:

1.) Walther P99
2.) Springfield XDM 4.5"
3.) S & W - M&P

I didn't get a chance to hold a phantom, but have read great things about them.

#3 ·
Be safe: buy them all.

Ok, well, short of that, I've tried the XDm and the M&P, with my preference going to the XDM. However, it should be pointed out that 1) I'm a Springfield fan and 2) there are users here on the forum with the M&P and have had plenty of good things to say about it.

My next pistol will be an XDm - I just haven't centered on if it will be a 3.8" 9mm or a 4.5" .45.

#5 ·
Backup is the issue I'm looking at. I already carry a full size Springfield 1911 (which I can CC fine) and it would be nice to have either a backup or an alternate carry for times when I want something smaller. If it was purely a range gun or for home defense, then for me I would do the 4.5" in a .45.

The 4.5" will give you a little extra accuracy and control over the gun (in my opinion anyway), so I usually look to full size for daily carry when I can and the smaller guns as backup carry. I have a preference for the .45 caliber, so my primary is generally chambered for that.

#7 ·
I used to have an XDm 9mm and sold it (like a moron). I really liked the way it sat in my hand. That being said, I've held a CZSP01 and it felt pretty nice too. Didn't get a chance to shoot it though. I wish I had. I would say you really can't go wrong with either one. I haven't held the M&P.

RedDawnTheMusical said:
Be safe: buy them all.

Ok, well, short of that, I've tried the XDm and the M&P, with my preference going to the XDM. However, it should be pointed out that 1) I'm a Springfield fan and 2) there are users here on the forum with the M&P and have had plenty of good things to say about it.

My next pistol will be an XDm - I just haven't centered on if it will be a 3.8" 9mm or a 4.5" .45.
You know the new XDm 3.8 Compact has started shipping. Looks like I might be getting one of those. Although the .45 would be really nice.
http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/home.html

#8 ·
There was no reason for Springfield to create the XDm 9mm 3.8", without also making the grip smaller. Everyone that carries knows that the grip is the hardest thing to conceal. So why just make the barrel shorter? It doesn't make any sense to me. I would have seriously looked at getting a 3.8 if they would have also shortened the grip like the size of a Glock 19. Not full size, but not sub-compact either. I like XDms, i just didn't like this decision.

The next 9mm I will consider buying will be a FNH FNX 9. I like that it can be carried cocked and locked with a thumb safety engaged, but can also be carried DA/SA if you want. (I carry a full size 1911 cocked and locked) It has ambi controls and several back straps to choose from. I haven't gotten my hands on one, but I like what I see from the reviews online.

BTW..............a fellow forum member is trying to sell his XDm 9 here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53549

#10 ·
tmoore912 said:
There was no reason for Springfield to create the XDm 9mm 3.8", without also making the grip smaller. Everyone that carries knows that the grip is the hardest thing to conceal. So why just make the barrel shorter? It doesn't make any sense to me. I would have seriously looked at getting a 3.8 if they would have also shortened the grip like the size of a Glock 19. Not full size, but not sub-compact either. I like XDms, i just didn't like this decision.
: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53549
Just for you, tmoore.
http://www.the-m-factor.com/CompactInfo.pdf

#11 ·
IMR said:
tmoore912 said:
Just for you, tmoore.
Glad I posted this question, and that you responded! That looks sexy and might has probably tipped the scales!

#14 ·
IMR said:
tmoore912 said:
Just for you, tmoore.
IMR, thanks for that link. I haven't been to Springfield site in a while, and did not know about that upgrade to the 3.8. Looks promising. Can you get all your fingers (Average size hand) on a sub-compact XDm grip? That might be something I don't like about it. Oh, well.

#15 ·
It looks like that they have extension pads for the mags (and extended mags) that allow you to switch from the compact grip to the more full size grip. I struggle with the smaller grips, but they obviously have benefits for CC. I was looking to pick up a 3.8" XDm in 9mm and this may be the way to go as it will offer more CC options as a backup piece. Nifty. Hopefully Santa saw this too.

#16 ·
a-squared said:
Would there be a significant benefit (other than CC purposes) in the difference between 3.8 and 4.5 barrel length for a 9mm round? Nearly 3/4 of an inch.
My full size XDm can get in the way sometimes when sitting or accessing pockets. I imagine the 3.8 may help with that.

#18 ·
I would like to meet you at Bullseye one day to see how that phantom feels and shoots.

I was decided on the 4.5" xdm until someone posted the link to the new XDM, so I wanted to see how the new one was.

I got a call from Forsyth County Pawn today (great selection and prices of new and used, so don't let the "pawn" deter you) saying they received the new XDM 3.8" compact.

I went, I saw, I purchased. I can't shoot it until christmas because it is a "gift", so no write ups till then, though I am sure they will be just like the other xdm 9mm.

#20 ·
a-squared said:
I would like to meet you at Bullseye one day to see how that phantom feels and shoots.

I was decided on the 4.5" xdm until someone posted the link to the new XDM, so I wanted to see how the new one was.

I got a call from Forsyth County Pawn today (great selection and prices of new and used, so don't let the "pawn" deter you) saying they received the new XDM 3.8" compact.

I went, I saw, I purchased. I can't shoot it until christmas because it is a "gift", so no write ups till then, though I am sure they will be just like the other xdm 9mm.
Me see, me like, me must acquire...

#23 ·
Waiting for the 45 compact XDm to come out....

#24 ·
Well, looks like the link helped. Doubt I'd of posted it, if not for tmoore wishing for the 3.8 in a sub compact grip.

A-squared, I believe you'll really like the XDMsc.
I've got an XDsc 9 that has been my favorite pistol.

#25 ·
Definitely helped! I still want a full sized pistol, but that will come soon enough.

I really like the versatility this pistol offers, and you can see from the pictures all the goodies they offer. It looks like they gave you 2 adapters to add to a regular XD 19 round mag to make it work with the shortened grip which is sweet.

Thanks for posting the link!

#26 ·
IMR said:
Well, looks like the link helped. Doubt I'd of posted it, if not for tmoore wishing for the 3.8 in a sub compact grip.
Actually, I was hoping for a compact length grip like a Glock 19, so I could get all my fingers on the grip. I have never shot a XDsc model, so I am assuming my pinkie will dangle off the end of it. It looks like it could be a versatile gun. I will be looking forward to a review.

Hey, a-squared. Take a picture of you gripping the gun with the sub-compact mag in. Or are you not allowed to grope it until Christmas? :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.