Springfield XD40

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bulldawg182, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Just got back from BullsEye and damned if they didn't show me the XD40 when I came off the range. I'm a fairly new Glock 27 owner and absolutely love that gun and shoot it as often as I can. It's a great carry weapon and I have nothing but the best to say about it.

But, man is that XD nice!! Ole Norm almost had me walking out the door with one.....but he'll have to wait!!! And so will I! :cry:

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Norm knows better than to try and get me into an XD. I have a Glock 17, my wife has an XD-9 Tactical (5" Barrel). I love my Glock, she loves her XD, there's no convincing either of us any different. Of course, that Springfield 1911 in the case suuuuuuurrrreeee would fit nicely in my safe.

Do you go to Bullseye often? I go about once a week. Ramm, Macktee, myself, and anyone else we get to go, meet there about once a month on a Sunday afternoon. You should meet us sometime.

3. Bulldawg182

Yep....been going about once a week as well. I typically sneak out during the weekdays around 2:00-2:30 or so. Although I normally have the place to myself, I'd rather meet you guys there sometime. Please let me know next time you're all heading up there on a Sun afternoon and I'll be sure to go.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

XDs have great safety features, decent factory trigger, are easy to clean, and good reliability. I have the XD40 sub-compact and I love it. I've put about 1200 rounds through it so far and not a single failure. Mine came with the plastic case, extended mag, holster (crappy... toss that right out), and a mag loader.

Extended mag is nice for carrying as a spare. I carry with the smaller mag for concealment figuring that if I have to pull out the other mag for a reload then I'll need the extra rounds anyway. I practice shooting with both (grip extension on the short mag).

I look forward to shooting with ya'll when I get back to the area.

5. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I too have an XD, they are nice guns. My next one may be a .40 SC.

6. Bulldawg182

AV8R,

What do you fly and from where? I've got a 182 & fly from PDK.

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

All of my flight training was at Aviation Atlanta at PDK. I instructed there between June 2005 and April 2006. I now work for a cargo company flying the Shorts SD3-60. Our motto is, "We take it in the Shorts every night." :?

Our company has two sides... Scheduled service for UPS serving smaller cities and towns (hauling UPS boxes to/from Louisville KY to various places every night). The other side, the side I'm on, flies on-demand cargo charter. I sit with an airplane and wait for a trip. I fly to somewhere and pick up the cargo, fly it to it's destination, and wait for another trip. We bounce around all over the US, Canada, and Mexico.

The SD3-60 is a two-man crew airplane. It trues out at about 220 kts at 20,000 feet. It's big, ugly, and built like a brick shithouse... My kind of plane.

Some PDK friends of mine and I used to be Friday night regulars at The Downwind. I really miss that airport!

Check your PMs.

8. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Wow, that must be nice. I worked at an FBO in college and flew quite a bit back then, I loved it and may go back and get my license eventually...

9. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Howdy,

I own both the XD40 sub, and the XD45ACP 4"service model. I used own the XD40 4" service model but I sold it to get the 45acp. Great guns never a single falure with any of them. :D

You can't beat the grip size and feel. Amazingly the XD45acp is hardly even noticably larger than the 40. It also holds 13 + 1, rounds of 45!

If you haven't purchased the XD40 yet and your were looking to get any model of it other than sub compact, then I want to humbly suggest you try the XD45. I have shot both side by side and gotta tell you I think the 45 feels easier to shoot. All 40s have a sharp snappy recoil, but the 45 feels a bit more muted and smoother.

Either way you can't loose. :)

10. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I also carry a G27. I would have got a XD40 sc but there wasn't one to be found at the gunshow I was attending. The G27 was my first choice, but I would have gladly bought a XD if one was able.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It sounds like a flying Glock !!!

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The XDs are nice pistols, but if you are already into Glock wouldn't it make more sense to stay with the Glocks for mag compatibility? The XDs are tempting though.

13. Dan H

Dan H New Member

It really might depend on how well you shoot either of them. Due to the grip angles being different between Glocks and XD's, some prefer and shoot better with one or the other. I personally am still trying to get more accurate with my XD, however a while back when I shot Glocks I was very accurate with them...

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Agreed, but I took it from his comments that he was very happy with his G27. The XDs are very nice pistols, and nothing says you can't own more than one brand. :)

I made a decision about a year ago that so far I am painfully sticking to. I decided not to add any new systems and to concentrate of standardizing. It's hard to keep from buying other stuff as I really would like a CZ.

15. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Yeah I understand and thats essentially where Im at. Both are great guns but I want the one that I shoot better with which is why I will be trying out some Glocks again this weekend, so we will see.

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Yeah I understand and thats essentially where Im at. Both are great guns but I want the one that I shoot better with which is why I will be trying out some Glocks again this weekend, so we will see.[/quote:1zrukz89]

You definitely need to try both before making a choice. In the subcompact, the XD is actually more comfortable to me. I shot the G19 and the XD9 Service head to head and actually shot the XD a little better, but I "liked" the 19 more. In short order, the 19 became a good performer for me. Once I became a Glock armorer, any question of dropping Glock for the XD disappeared.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Dan,
    Are you coming to Bullseye tomorrow? I'll have my Glock 17 and my wifes XD-9 tactical (5 inch) with me.

18. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Yes, I will be bringing my XD9 Service, you are more than welcome to shoot it, its got some nice mods.

19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

[-X

20. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

What mods?