Springfield Mil Spec .45

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Boy Racer, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Would the Springer Mil Spec .45 be a good platform for a starter .45? What I mean is, would I be able to competently make upgrades (grips, sights, triggers, etc.) to the Mil Spec as time passes and funds allow to make it worth buying as a foundation, or would any modifications require so many mods that I may as well buy a whole different model.

The Parkerized Mil Spec, new for sub-$600, is very attractive to me. I would glady sell my BE, magazines & 9mm ammo to subsidize the purchase. I could save enough by Christmas to make up the difference and have myself a new friend by New Years.

But if I'd just have to sell it again to get a quality .45 at some unknown point in the future, then it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Input?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have never shot one, but I wonder if it needs mods to be a good gun? I doubt it.

3. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

It would be ok, but if you want a good starter 1911 I would recommend a taurus
    PT1911. You can still pick one up for about the same price an it will only need tritium sites and new grips to replace the plastic ones. The plastic ones arent that bad looking, and it has a nice trigger group. I own (2) of them and they shoot great. I left everything as is out of the box except for the grips, I have nice wooden on one and black tactical rubber on the other. You might even find a good used one, if you are near the Canton area you should check out Big Woods Goods on the mainstreet in Hollysprings, they seem to have some good used 45 auto's.

:bump:

4. Wiley

Wiley New Member

If you are buying new: Springers are excelent, however for an inexpensive 1911 to use as a base you might concider Rock Island Armory. They run 150 to 200 less at shows. They have gotten high marks in every review. They are made under license by Armscor for TwinPines in the Philipines. Check on the 1911.org site.

If expense is a primary concern, a used Springer or Colt can be a good value. I've picked up a couple of used Colt 1911's that were in excelent condition and saved about 50% over new.

5. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I just got a Milspec this week. Haven't shot it yet, but its pretty nice. I had a GI before, and the Milspec is worth the extra loot. Good sights, lowered/flared ejection port so you dont dent up your brass, angled serrations, etc.

They are a great starter 45... shouldnt "need" anything to work 100%, but if you want to add on stuff it can be done easily. Mine has a wilson drop-in beavertail grip safety and a berryhill ring hammer. I actually might put the regular stuff back in..

Adding a trigger, hammer, beavertail, etc is no big deal whatsoever.

The only thing that isn't done is dovetail front sight, so if you wanted to change sights you'd have to get it machined out.

6. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

All I have to say is stay away from the Taurus PT1911...mine has been nothing short of trash. And now Taurus says it will take 5-6 weeks to make my piece of trash funtional... :evil:

On the other hand, the Springfield GI Champion I got from JP233 has been flawless. It is smaller commander size, but the heft of it makes the felt recoil neglible. Only downside is the GI sights...

I had a Rock Island Armory 1911, wish I never got rid of that one. Fine pistol at a great price.

7. fallison

fallison New Member

I saw an ad in Shotgun News for a 1911 basic model for a little under $400. May be a good one for a base to build on. If you want, I will see if I can find more info when I get home this evening.

8. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I'm not talking about upgrades to the gun to make it do what it was supposed to do when designed. I'm sure much like other .45s, it will work great once broken in properly. I'm just talking about those mods we do to guns that we don't need to do, but want to do. :D I figure why put pearls on a pig? I'm pretty sure from what I've read that the Springfield is a good tool, but I still seek qualified, experienced opinions.

I have heard, anecdotally, that Taurus makes quality weapons. I have also heard, anecdotally, that they don't. I have no experience with one personally, but the discord keeps me away from buying one.

Wiley - I'll check out the Rock Islands.

JP - where'd you get your Mil Spec? Don't tell me that place on HBR across from Dunkin' Donuts?!?

Fallison - what manufacturer? Springfield? Is it a GI? Like JP says, I'm kinda holding out for the Mil Spec which is said to have a few upgrades over the GI for not that much more money. But hey... I'm interested right now in all offers.

9. fallison

fallison New Member

The rest of the ad were all Rock River but the one I am talking about I don't remember if it was specified. I will look it up this evening when I get home.

10. jp233

The 1911 under $400 has got to be a Rock Island Armory. You can normally find them at gun shows for $350-375

Don't confuse RIA and Rock River Arms..... Rock River has much higer initial quality, and their prices reflect that. They also make AR-15's....

but I have heard/read the RIA 1911's (Armscor) are good starting bases also. I'd just rather start with a Springfield Armory, the name alone brings history with it :)

racer I've actually never been in that gun shop on HBR. I got my Milspec off gunbroker.... used but not abused. Pretty good price but shipping was a BITCH !!

UPS and Fedex are gettin RICH of people shippin pistols... $50+ for overnight for a small box that only weighs a few pounds.

11. fallison

fallison New Member

You're right. It was Rock Island. Sorry, that is what happens when I trust my memory.

:oops:

12. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Anyone here ever buy anything off of Bud's Gun Shop?

The RIA's (from the little I've read on 1911 Forums) are getting some pretty impressive reviews. Hmm... :-k

13. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

This can happen with any brand of 1911's......

BR,
    I have some high dollar Kimbers as well as mediun dollar ones. I have never had ANY problems with any of them. You will have this same problem with ALL brands of 1911's. Remember that quality control is an oxymoron because after 35 years in manufacturing I have yet to see any quality under our control. RIA's are nice as well as Taurus, Kimber, Colts etc... You still take a chance of getting that one in 1000 that won't work right out of the box. I wouldn't shy away from any recognized brands, so get what you can afford and have fun.

:deadhorse:

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have not ordered from Buds, yet, but they do have a Taurus 9mm snubbie that I'm interested in. If you buy from them, let me know how it works out.

I have also read VERY good reviews of the RIA 1911's.

15. jp233

I've bought from Buds, they are friggin great !

TJ is totally right.

You can get a $2500 Ed Brown and have problems or have a $400 RIA and have zero problems.

Just one big spectrum, choose your poison and just go with the flow....

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Can we list people that make them in the U.S.?

17. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Here's my next question: what makes one production line 1911-clone worth $1800 and another production line 1911-clone sell for $450?

I can realize the value of a hand-tool'd .45, with quality parts used throughout, from a real bench being worth more than an assembly line piece.

But what makes one assembly line crank out better items than another?

Marketing?

18. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I may be crazy, but since I've started researching and reading about this, I've had an epiphany, or at least some new inspiration: What if I built my own?

Reasons in favor of this idea:

I need a new hobby that keeps me at home on the weekends.
    I could get into something like gun-smithing if it's anything like building RC cars and models which I did when I was a kid
    I could save a few bucks with the 'some assembly is required' kit. :mrgreen:
    I could buy a .45 on my schedule - one piece at a time.
    Knowing the workings inside & out would be valuable to being a better shooter.

Reasons against this idea:

Now I need to research who makes quality components instead of who sells a quality finished product.
    If I screw up it could all blow up in my face (literally).
    Oh god, not yet another unfinished project in my garage/life! :roll:

But this kit idea fascinates me. If I could end up with a quality tool for the price of the parts and tools to build it, I would be ecstatic.

19. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Building a 1911 is something all serious 1911 shooters should try. Avoid the cheap kits. You will NOT save money by building your own, but it is very educational.

20. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I've been researching 1911s for a while now to purchase my first, and I've narrowed it down to Springfield's GI Full sized Parkerized, Mil-Spec full sized, or RIA 1911A1-45 FS GI.

Prices are good, great shooters out of the box, and prime for mods.