Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get the 1911 itch as of late and may have to scratch it with this coming tax refund. For those who own or who have fired this one, what's your thoughts on it? Pros/cons? How is it with JHPs?

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
gman said:
I'm starting to get the 1911 itch as of late and may have to scratch it with this coming tax refund. For those who own or who have fired this one, what's your thoughts on it? Pros/cons? How is it with JHPs?
I've had the itch for a long time now, but have yet to scratch it. This one is high on my list, though.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have the Loaded flavor, and it's my EDC. Love it love it love it. I've never had a failure with any ammo I've used.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I had a Mil Spec, it was a great gun. Never had a single issue with it. I didn't run a lot of JHPs through it, so I'm not sure how the long term reliability, but I imagine it would do fine w/ quality magazines.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mil-specs are one of the few, cheaper 1911s I would recommend. They make great guns to have a smith work on later, or be a base for personal upgrades.

They basically took a GI model and made it nicer for regular shooting (better sights, lower and flare ejection port for removing loaded rounds and bevelled the mag well.)

While you are looking, find one with an NM serial number prefix. Those indicate US assembled guns while the N prefix indicated brazilian assembled. The US guns are nicer overall and have a one piece barrel instead of a two piece. It may take a little longer to find, but very worth it in the long run. When you hold the two side by side you will notice a difference.

And with all 1911s, learn how it works; buy good magazines; keep it lubed and feed it good ammo.

·
Registered
404 Posts
gman said:
I had a Springfield Mil Spec 1911. I fired all types of ammo through it and never had any problems. I mainly bought it to customize and never got around to doing anything with it. I've had several Colt and Springfield 1911's. The 1911 is by far my favorite.

Also, I alway used Wilson Combat mags. As other have already said, use quality mags!

Corey

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

madcapmagician said:
While you are looking, find one with an NM serial number prefix. Those indicate US assembled guns while the N prefix indicated brazilian assembled. The US guns are nicer overall and have a one piece barrel instead of a two piece. It may take a little longer to find, but very worth it in the long run. When you hold the two side by side you will notice a difference.
Thanks for that advise. I'll keep that in mind when looking.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
ill share my mil-spec story, here goes.

ill start by saying i like springfield 1911's. i always had a liking for the springfield loaded, the only problem is that i dont like front serrations on a 1911. so my solution for this was to buy a mil-spec, and hot rod it to basically be a loaded without the front serrations.

as the gun sits currently, the only thing left original is the slide, frame, and bushing. it has swenson trigger, and everything else in the frame is wilson combat. the slide has a kart barrel, wilson combat firing pin and extractor, and all the springs have been replaced. kimber guide rod and thumb safety. wilson combat mags. this thing is a beast now. also has gadsden flag grips. gun has a very sweet, 2.5lb trigger, as do all my carry guns.

here are some pics.
fitting beavertail...

the initial fit on the beavertail (it has been hi-gripped since)

after a fresh re-parkerizing on the whole gun, slide and frame.

kimber extended thumb safety and kimber slide stop installed

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the Mil spec is gonna be my next gun I pick up. I like the fact it has a forged frame and have heard nothing but good about their customer service.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright...I did it...I took the plunge! I don't have it home yet, but I put a deposit on one today. It's the stainless steel model. I should be able to get it within the next 2-3 weeks. Can't wait! Not a picture of mine, but here's what I have waiting for me:

Madcapmagician, it does have an NM serial number. Thanks again for the advise.

I'll post a pic of mine when she's home!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Very nice. :righton:

·
Registered
698 Posts
:love: I shouldn't be reading these kinds of posts. I shouldn't be reading these kinds of posts. I shouldn't be reading these kinds of posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts