Springfield, M1A SOCOM II

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by adcurt, Oct 10, 2007.

1. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Has anyone owned or fired this weapon? I'm confident that if you combine an M1A with Springfield it's a safe buy, but I'd love to hear a review from one of you fellas. And, no, I'm not sure I'm looking to buy one - just curious. This one (all loaded up) makes mine look like a Pinto. :)

[​IMG]

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I agree with Sharkie...

That's one nice looking rifle. Mean enough to be an evil black rifle and shoots a big-ass round! What more could any gun crazy psychopath want?

It probably gives Sarah Brady the vapors just looking at a picture of it!

I know I'm getting warm with lustful desire...

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Go for it adcurt! It's only money and you only live once and, I get to shoot it next, right after Sharkie...! :wildeyed:

:rifle:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Looks great. I wouldn't mind shooting one.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I've had my eye on the Scout Squad or the original SOCOM. I don't think I'll spend that much scratch on rifle unless I sell off some other stuff though.

6. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Maktee, man - that's awesome. Made me look at my wallet and think about it... :)

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Price

I'm sure the .308 is a hard hitter, but for $2800 I can buy a used car and run the bad guy over at 80 MPH. :lol:

8. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Damn. My M1A Scout Squad only ran $1400 or so in 05. No rails, nothin special, just iron sights. I really dig it, although you have to be real careful with the mags you buy.

9. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

Doesn't Springfield use cast receivers? If I were to drop that kind of coin I would probably go with a forged Fulton Armory.

10. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

It looks really cool but is very heavy and the bottom rail makes it uncomfortable to shoot without a rail cover. With a rail cover it feels to fat and weird. With the complete rail system on it is really nose heavy and unbalanced. The muzzle brake is required for the thing to work properly and you'll be blind and deaf after shooting once in the dark.

Carlton Outdoors in Valdosta had a used one for $1200 9 months ago. A wingnut from Moody AFB traded it in after figuring out the above stated conclusions the hard expensive way.

Save a little $$ and get a DSA 16" FAL para or carbine model. It's better built, more reliable, has a nice balanced feel, just as accurate, and you can get good reliable mags for less than $10 ea vs $35+ for the M1A. As an added bonus you can fit it with any of a multitude of effective flash hiders so you can stay in the fight at night.

I know FALs ain't light either. Mines still lighter and way better balanced than the SOCOM II.

Fulton Armory and LRB make some super nice rifles. They have their place in the lineup as excellent designated marksman role rifles. They're capable of more accuracy than a a FAL or H&K type rifle.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

silencer

If I had $2000 to spend on this kind of weapon, I'd spend another $700 and get a .30 rifle sound supressor and the $200 federal tax. Then it would be like shooting a .22 rifle, no louder.

P.S. I agree about the fat-feeling stock. This is a common problem I have with a lot of guns. I like my stocks slim (and I like the buttstock to be a bit shorter than average, with about a 12" length of pull, for faster handling).

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Re: silencer

Are you talking about guns or men here? ;)

13. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Good thoughts. Like I said though - I'm not looking to drop close to 3 grand on a rifle unless it's an over-under to shoot skeet with, but I feel like this is a pretty sweet looking weapon.

Thanks for the thoughts!

14. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

They have one in the PX on base here, held it and didn't like the rails. very uncomfortable on the hands, specially with the weight of the rifle as well. The SOCOM 16 is a nice rifle though, been thinking about getting one myself.

15. tace

tace New Member

How about one of those DPMS Panther ARs in .308 caliber? Are they a viable option?

16. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

AR-10s can be finicky rifles. They are however capable of more inherent accuracy than any common piston driven semiauto.

I'd get an Armalite or a Fulton Armory if I wanted a decent shooter.

I'd get a Noveske Leonidas if I was a SF Jedi Ninja Warrior and needed a really cool boom stick to shoot booger eaters in the face with at close range.

If I wanted a safe queen that would fund my retirement I'd get a Knight SR-25/M110. (BTW suppposedly they're gonna sell em to us civies again)

If you want something that is frighteningly reliable in .308 get a FAL or a real HK-91. The HK is dang heavy though if you want to carry it around.