Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally added a US milsurp to my collection, here it is:

Korean War-era receiver and a mix of other parts. The barrel is a 1953 Marlin. Now I just gotta get some ammo... :D

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$585 shipped to my front door :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
That looks great!

If you still want some Greek surplus in the spam cans, I've got 'em. I'll be working the Gainesville show on Sunday, but I think you live in the other direction.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Don't forget to get a ample supply of enbloc clips. You don't want to stop shooting just to look for a clip to put ammo in.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fallison said:
Lots of good questions, but the most important one - Where from?
:D
I haven't fired it yet, so no range report :( Haven't found any ammo for it that isn't corrosive (haven't learned to take it apart for proper cleaning either).

I got it from a fellow Gunboards.com member. I have a C&R license, so it came from the seller direct. The bore is in great shape, so I think I will have a nice shooter on my hands.

I don't know when I'll get the chance to play with it. My weekends are all booked up lately :(

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, but from what I read you have to watch what you put into it. Modern commercial .30-06 has larger grain bullets and more pressure. You could bend the Garand's op rod with it. So for now I'll stick with the surplus stuff. The Greek (HXP) surplus is supposedly very clean, boxer primed, and reloadable.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
RepeatDefender said:
Yeah, but from what I read you have to watch what you put into it. Modern commercial .30-06 has larger grain bullets and more pressure. You could bend the Garand's op rod with it. So for now I'll stick with the surplus stuff. The Greek (HXP) surplus is supposedly very clean, boxer primed, and reloadable.
$60 for 192 rounds on stripper clips, in bandoleers, in an ammo can.

Here

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
RepeatDefender said:

Here
The new cheaperthandirt catalog has a similar deal.

For those of you who haven't ordered a print copy of their catalog... you should do so! It's great to read on the john...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
RepeatDefender said:

Here
Those are en bloc clips not stripper clips. A lot of guns use stripper clips, but to my knowlage only M1 rifles use en bloc clips. The differerance is the entire clip loaded in the rifle and is ejected after the last round.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
RD, Bring your new toy to the fall luncheon and I'll show you how to play with it. Also you can get the manuals for takedown and cleaning from a link on the CMP site.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the offer and the info. I don't think I'll be able to make the lunch, though. When will there be a lunch in the Columbus area? :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
RepeatDefender said:
Thanks for the offer and the info. I don't think I'll be able to make the lunch, though. When will there be a lunch in the Columbus area? :D
You're in Columbus? Hell, I just need an excuse to go down there and hang out with my favorite Drill Sergeant (Ret)... I can also bring some of this.

Comes in a spam can filled with bandoleers of loaded en banc clips... or so sayeth CMP.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Close enough...only about 30mins NE of town. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts