Springfield M1 Garand

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RepeatDefender, Oct 18, 2007.

1. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Well I finally added a US milsurp to my collection, here it is:

[​IMG]

Korean War-era receiver and a mix of other parts. The barrel is a 1953 Marlin. Now I just gotta get some ammo... :D

2. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

how much did that set you back?

3. RepeatDefender

$585 shipped to my front door :D

4. M249

M249 New Member

That looks great!

If you still want some Greek surplus in the spam cans, I've got 'em. I'll be working the Gainesville show on Sunday, but I think you live in the other direction.

5. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

What type of shape is it in? Range report? What type of groupings do you expect?

6. fallison

fallison Guest

Lots of good questions, but the most important one - Where from?
    :D

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Don't forget to get a ample supply of enbloc clips. You don't want to stop shooting just to look for a clip to put ammo in.

8. RepeatDefender

I haven't fired it yet, so no range report :( Haven't found any ammo for it that isn't corrosive (haven't learned to take it apart for proper cleaning either).

I got it from a fellow Gunboards.com member. I have a C&R license, so it came from the seller direct. The bore is in great shape, so I think I will have a nice shooter on my hands.

I don't know when I'll get the chance to play with it. My weekends are all booked up lately :(

9. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Yeah, I need to start using my C&R...I've put it into a frame on my bookshelf. :lol:

They do take 30.06 rounds right?

10. RepeatDefender

Yeah, but from what I read you have to watch what you put into it. Modern commercial .30-06 has larger grain bullets and more pressure. You could bend the Garand's op rod with it. So for now I'll stick with the surplus stuff. The Greek (HXP) surplus is supposedly very clean, boxer primed, and reloadable.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

$60 for 192 rounds on stripper clips, in bandoleers, in an ammo can.

Here

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

The new cheaperthandirt catalog has a similar deal.

For those of you who haven't ordered a print copy of their catalog... you should do so! It's great to read on the john...

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Those are en bloc clips not stripper clips. A lot of guns use stripper clips, but to my knowlage only M1 rifles use en bloc clips. The differerance is the entire clip loaded in the rifle and is ejected after the last round.

14. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

RD, Bring your new toy to the fall luncheon and I'll show you how to play with it. Also you can get the manuals for takedown and cleaning from a link on the CMP site.

15. RepeatDefender

Thanks for the offer and the info. I don't think I'll be able to make the lunch, though. When will there be a lunch in the Columbus area? :D

16. Taler

Taler New Member

Heck, have it in 'Bama, lol, because of fewer restrictions.

17. M249

M249 New Member

You're in Columbus? Hell, I just need an excuse to go down there and hang out with my favorite Drill Sergeant (Ret)... I can also bring some of this.

Comes in a spam can filled with bandoleers of loaded en banc clips... or so sayeth CMP.

18. RepeatDefender

Close enough...only about 30mins NE of town. :D