SPLC: You're dangerous if you have a Conservative Sticker

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Nov 9, 2010.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Conflation Alert. Remember, the SPLC is selling this garbage to law enforcement across our country as FACT.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... er-sticker

Here is a link to the video propaganda, if you can stand to watch it: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-n ... rant-video

And here, on youtube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_y-gLm9 ... r_embedded

Anthony Martin has picked up on it as well: http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in ... ves-killed

I would hope that the law enforcement in this country would be able to see the difference between a conservative with a GeorgiaCarry.Org or other conservative or constitutional bumper sticker and the CRIMINALS that perpetuated the murder of these two good law enforcement officers. It appears James "Waco" Cavanaugh is trying to make that case, though. This is bad precedence, and I cannot believe that our country's law enforcement is now taking direction from the liars at the SPLC. They have lied and conflated the truth so many times, they have lost all credibility with me.

I just really hope that all the good officers out there in law enforcement will not believe this conflation, and will continue to honor current case law that says that a bumper sticker does not make a passenger of a vehicle "armed and dangerous." Especially, not the "dangerous" part.

2. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

Like the NAACP, this is just another moronic group that is desperately trying to stay relevant in today's world. If any of these clowns (and I'll include the dopey reverends on this challenge) wanted to fight racism, they'd start with the NBPP. Or the Obama Administration and Eric Holder in particular. Or any other liberal idiot who cries racism the very moment a conservative destroys his arguments with facts.

I'd say those people are the real racists here. But, alas, only white people can be bigots, and I must certainly be one if I think the government should go pound sand and let me live my life in peace. Yeah, that's totally racist of me. Oops.

I'd also like to thank the SPLC for their continued support of the 1st Amendment. I've read the Constitution before, and I somehow missed the part where free speech only applies if you're a liberal. Thanks, SPLC!

3. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

the problem I see here is that it's not only bumper stickers, but what is being said to the officer...

"I do not consent to search and siezure of my property or vehicle" sounds awfully close to what
    they are TRYING to teach officers to use as a sign that they are in trouble. So not only does this video
    relegate people to probable cause status for bumper stickers, but exercising their 4th and 5th Amendment rights as well.

Kinda scary :screwy:

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Yep. Fear-mongering... Class warfare... Us versus them.

5. moga

moga New Member

EJR, I think this story should be in your "Which Way is the Wind Blowing" thread.

Are we in the calm before the storm? The fact that SPLC has the ear of DHS/DoJ and by extension the LE community of the nation is deeply unsettling. Clearly those southern poverty people have an agenda to serve. Makes you wonder.

6. samman23

samman23 New Member

I remember that some of these "Sovereign Citizens" were moving into foreclosed luxury homes in the Atlanta area and making up fake deeds and just basically stealing houses. They've been known to forge documents to do whatever they like. Many of them are criminal.

It is strange the the SPLC is acting as a law enforcement consultant.

7. moga

moga New Member

Well I figured that they were lumping everyone together from their Rightwing Extremism report under one banner. Especially since SPLC has dragged out some good ole boy from the Waco incident and shoved him in front of the camera for added urgency and fear mongering. The agenda seems like it has less to do with foreclosed homes and paper warfare than it does with demonizing citizens that espouse conservative values.

Cavanaugh should remain disgraced by association with Waco. Only the poverty folk' are oblivious to the implications of having such a person associated with a biased piece on domestic policy. Or perhaps not. Either way I find it rather unnerving that Justice and Homeland Security really believe that crap enough to disseminate it to the country's LE bodies.

ETA: Wanted to add the accompanying DHS-Domestic Terrorist Lexicon memo for your viewing pleasure as a reference for the Rightwing Extremism Memo. What a gem of a document, huh?

8. EJR914

Moga, that's what's really scary to me, is that the SPLC has not been given the ear of the DHS/DOJ/ATF, the SPLC is now an official consultant to these agencies and are now selling this junk to them as fact. This could really end poorly for people with conservative bumper stickers on their car, or just conservatives in general.

I don't believe this attitude will be strictly contained in just car stops. I'm afraid if this is allowed to continue to go on, that it will be spread to all conservatives, everywhere expressing their 1st amendment rights. This is very dangerous.

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Keep calling good folks dangerous and it will begin to be true.

10. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

I see what you said there :D

11. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

OK, I totally understand the concern here, but aren't most of the actual law enforcers conservatives? I'm not talking about the guys at the top, Eric the Red and his buddies, but the guys who are on the street. Liberals are too busy saving the whales and riding on unicorns to do actual helpful things like joining the local police department or becoming FBI field agents.

Again, the guys at the top might be total libtards, but the guys at the bottom, who enforce those orders, are most certainly not. And I just don't envision many beat cops gunning for me because of the GOA sticker on my truck.

12. EJR914

Just as so many conservatives, such as my own parents think that the Patriot Act was one of the best pieces of legislation ever created? On top of that, I know for a fact that a lot of beat cops have had a lot of contact with DHS. The same DHS that ruled that Constitutionalists are right-wing terrorist. I know some of the more intelligent LEO out there can see through all the conflation and garbage for what it is, but I'm worried about the ones that may not can see through some of this stuff, for what it really is.

Also, officers usually do as they are trained. If chief LEO are using this same stuff for training, the officers below them are going to do what they are told.

Conservative or Liberal, it doesn't matter. IMHO, both sides can be wrong at times, and sometimes, conservatives are wrong, especially when it comes to our 4th amendment rights. That's that have been destroyed in this country thanks to the War on Terror and the War on Drugs.

I agree with you that there are many LEO that are conservative and agree with "gun" type stickers. But how about other right-wing stickers? How about something mentioning the Constitution, or Libertarian ideas?

Do you know what is really crazy about the video in the OP. Take a really good look at the back of the van that the two murderers were riding in. Did you see any stickers on the back of their car? I looked really hard. I didn't see any. What does that tell you about the video?

One such officer, recently asked a GCO member to get out of his car, and he patted him down, because the fact that he saw the GCO sticker made him nervous. The GCO member decided not to answer the officers questions about weapons. This occurred in Sandy Springs.

Here is the link to the story that I just mentioned. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=51935

13. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Googling on left-wing terrorism turns up interesting things...

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/purl.cover.j ... vq/native/

2001 is a little on the old side for a report, but interesting reading nonetheless.

And then there is this author, also a PhD, claiming that left-wing terrorism isn't anything to worry about.

http://terrorism.about.com/od/originshi ... Terror.htm

I think this statement gets more to the heart of the matter. "[W]ould-be terrorists had to find new ideologies to legitimate themselves." I don't think religions or ideologies promote terrorism as much as it is that destructive people simply cloak themselves in whatever prevalent idealogy they feel like they can ride more successfully. When the Soviet Union collapse made "left-wing" terrorism unprofitable, the destructive types seized on the new ideology of the day, environmentalism.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... terror.htm

The upshot in my book: Destructive people are destructive people, and they just find whatever label they can use that gets them the most attention. If "conservative" is getting them attention, I guess maybe that just shows the longing for "conservatism" in recent years.

If groups like the SPLC (and who they advise) can't see past the labels, that is some pretty serious ignorance.

14. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Indeed. According to the President I'm the enemy. I had to hear it 5 times to make sure I heard what I heard on the video..
    This guy is supposed to be my President? [​IMG] I was offended. Seriously.

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I didn't watch the video and I'm not familiar with the "sovereign citizen" movement.
    But generally, I think there ARE groups and movements with ideology that makes them more prone to violence against their enemies, and some of these movements view police officers as the enemy.
    GCO, the NRA, GON, GOP, Christian Coalition, Right to Life Party, Tea Party... NONE of these fit the bill.
    They may or may not be "conservative" but they're not groups that train their followers that it's time to fight with guns and kill the people who are trying to oppress you.
    If some other group or movement does have that flavor, that character, then people who are associated with that group should be given extra attention during a traffic stop. Cops should understand that they're dealing with irrational people with anger issues and they're probably well armed too.

16. CoffeeMate

They forgot malicious, hypocritcal finger-pointers who insinuate themselves into legitimate organizations for personal gain, prestige and leverage.

:roll:

17. CoffeeMate

Do you mean like make extra certain that the stuff written on the ticket is legible?

18. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

Can't imagine how they feel about Libertarians then :)

19. gunsmoker

Okay, I watched the video now.

This video did not link the soverign citizen movement to violence, other than through the words and actions of those two killers.
    If "soverign citizens" are dangerous, let's see some more evidence that this is what they preach. Let's see some videos they made, some web postings of longtime members of the movement, some written materials that say it's time to kill cops if they dare pull you over for having a home-made license plate?

I am convinced that the soverign citizens are nutjobs who are irrational. That seems to be a common theme among many of them. And really, they should all spend some time in jail for failing to pay taxes, driving without licenses, etc. But that doesn't mean they are violent or dangerous. A lot of tax protesters are non-violent.

20. gunsmoker

Here's a website mourning the deaths of these beautiful, patriotic Americans, ( the Kane father and son murderers) with key evidence of their guilt being hidden, persecuted by the racist government and smeared by allegations that they may have been Hispanic when in fact they were white!

www.privateaudio.homestead.com/Jerry-an ... orial.html

I'm just glad that neither of these crazy bastards got out of that Wal-Mart parking lot alive.