Georgiapacking.org banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Axeman said:
Rammstein said:
That's one of my pet-peeves. If it's a black guy from America, I want people to just say he is a black guy. If he was born in Africa and moved here...he's African-American. Sorry for the tiny rant, it just sets me off.
+1

I have some true African American friends, some are black (Kenya) and some are white (South Africa).

One of my white AA friends jokes around sometimes and says "insert statement here, because I am African American". He is white as can be and his wife and daughters are all blond hair/blue eyed. But they do speak Africaan.(sp?)
:wink:
Or Heinz 57 for short. :p

If I were going to hyphenate it would be a mess:
English-Scotts Irish-German-Black Dutch-Cherokee-Choctaw-Korean-American
Afrikaans is the correct word for the language spoken by many White South Africans.

I lived there for 2 years back in the mid 70's.

·
68,068 Posts
Thorsen said:
I guess we look at this from a different point of view. To me, when the door checker asks for my receipt they are asking me in essence if I am a thief and want me to prove that I am not one. I don't like that.
According to one police officer, it is ok just to knock the 71 year old receipt checker down.
:?

UPDATE : Thorsen does not knock down receipt checkers, nor does he approve of this police officer's criminal acts. He probably does not approve of the police officer's prior criminal acts referred to in the link, either. Just because a quote from Thorsen appears in the same post does not mean they are criminal twins. If anybody thinks that a quotation from him about how he does not like being treated like a thief means that he approves of the police officer knocking down an old man, then you are wrong. He does not.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Thorsen said:
I guess we look at this from a different point of view. To me, when the door checker asks for my receipt they are asking me in essence if I am a thief and want me to prove that I am not one. I don't like that.
According to one police officer, it is ok just to knock the 71 year old receipt checker down.
Really Malum?

Wow!

And where exactly did I state that behavior was acceptable? Please don't quote me and then write a response that looks to be directed towards me that states criminal behavior is acceptable. I don't appreciate it. I think fairly highly of you, but not to the extent that I will willingly allow you to place words in my mouth.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Thorsen said:
I love this part:

In the incident on Christmas Eve, Mr. Walker said an alarm went off when Det. Freeman and another city police officer, Edwin McPherson, were leaving the store.
and a few sentences later:

Cpl. Larry Robbins Jr. of the Collegedale Police said he decided not to bring assault charges against Det. Freeman, saying the incident was a misdemeanor not committed in the presence of an officer
Which is it? Was Edwin McPherson present, or was the crime not committed in the presence of an officer?

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Thorsen said:
And where exactly did I state that behavior was acceptable?
Huh? :-s
When you quote someone, it appears as if you are speaking to what that person had to say MP. You are intelligent man and know this, so I don't get your "huh".

I never said anywhere that is was correct to knock down the old person asking for receipts at the door, and did not appreciate having one of my previous posts quoted which might lead someone who has not read the entire thread to think that I have encouraged that kind of behavior.

You could have made your post concerning what this turd of a police officer had to say without quoting me and making it appear as if I was agreeing with his sentiment. You chose instead to quote me while repeating what this officer had to say and thereby tar me with the same words.

I don't appreciate it. And I don't think you would either.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
There. How's that?
I think you are trying to be condescending by editing your original post to be facetious.

But whatever floats your boat Ed.

·
68,068 Posts
Thorsen, the post clearly says "according to the police officer . . ." not "according to Thorsen." I quoted your post merely because it was the first one I saw on topic, as the thread had drifted off topic (mainly regarding race in Clayton County), and I wanted to bring it back on topic before posting about the criminal cop.

I did not state that you want to knock down 71 year old receipt checkers, nor did I intend to state any such thing.

I quote you saying it makes you feel like a thief, and I post that according to this officer you can just knock the receipt checker to the floor.

You respond with the accusation that I am trying to convince people here that you believe that behavior to be acceptable.

I by no means meant to offend you.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Thorsen, the post clearly says "according to the police officer . . ." not "according to Thorsen." I quoted your post merely because it was the first one I saw on topic, as the thread had drifted off topic (mainly regarding race in Clayton County), and I wanted to bring it back on topic before posting about the criminal cop.

I did not state that you want to knock down 71 year old receipt checkers, nor did I intend to state any such thing.

I quote you saying it makes you feel like a thief, and I post that according to this officer you can just knock the receipt checker to the floor.

You respond with the accusation that I am trying to convince people here that you believe that behavior to be acceptable.

I by no means meant to offend you.
I appreciate the explanation and clarification. I also hope you can see my point as to how a reasonable person could look at a quoted statement and believe you were responding to the individual quoted.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Thorsen said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
There. How's that?
I think you are trying to be condescending by editing your original post to be facetious.

But whatever floats your boat Ed.
No, no, he never means to be condescending.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Though she wasn’t wearing a uniform
This is the KEY PHRASE. because she was not wearing a uniform, any1 could have claimed to be anything and it would have made little difference, as seen.

I think the story would have been very different if she were in uniform.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I really hate this about Frys, but I yield due to the hassle. I seem to recall a similar incident @ CC (or maybe BB) where the refuser got a trip to jail. :D GL.

Macktee said:
I bought the item (or items), paid for it and was given a receipt. At that point, said item and receipt are now my property. I don't show them to anyone unless I feel like doing so. And I rarely feel that way...

I'm sure they have my picture posted at Fry's because I have explained this to them several times while walking out the door. I still shop there, they still take my money and I never show my receipt..

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I was rolling a crib out the door this last sat at walmart. greeter stops me as i am in the middle of the door to check receipt. this is on a flatbed cart, not a normal cart... taking up one of two entrances/exits for people. he then proceeds to take abot 60 seconds to look at receipt (1 large ass item) before highlighting it. I almost grabbed the receipt out of his hand and kept walking... i really should have because i was annoying a lot of people by blocking the door. :D

101 - 117 of 117 Posts