Speaking of not showing a receipt

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Corbomite, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Corbomite

Corbomite Guest

It seems that the most recent story of the refusal to show a receipt has inspired others. Unfortunately in this case it got ugly.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I can only shake my head in disgust.

3. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

No clue from reading the article if the woman was a shoplifter or had actually paid for her item.

If she was a shoplifter she got really lucky. If she was a citizen who didn't feel like having her rights violated by a private corporation all I can say is :rotfl:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I wonder if it was actually paid for....and, who gets a busy signal calling 911? That isn't supposed to happen. 911 is supposed to fend off even the most violent of attackers.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I didn't think Walmart put stickers on unbagged items (places like Kroger do)

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Oh, yes there is.

7. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Sorry, I just don't see how asking for a receipt amounts to having her rights violated.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Well, it does not, unless there is no reasonable cause to believe that you shoplifted the item, and then you get your face pounded in the entrance way.

9. Malum Prohibitum

I am surprised nobody has commented on this part of the story.

10. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I just figured since the article mentioned Clayton County, it was a given no one would offer help to the po-po.

11. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I don't know about you guys but had I seen the officer do this I would have assisted her. The people who grabbed her should be charged.

12. Bulldawg182

This kind of apathy and worse is becoming more and more commonplace unfortunately. Almost to the point where it's expected these days. :cry:

13. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Agree on both parts. I mentioned this recently in another thread how I always try to slow down a little and make observations when I see an officer in a traffic stop or other "field investigation".

14. Axeman

Axeman New Member

+1

Atleast this way when the back up arrives the cops can straighten out the situation.

That "I don't care, I work for the state" comment was ludicrous. :x
    And I agree those other hair pullers should be charged!

15. Malum Prohibitum

I bet there was some hand waving . . . =;

16. Malum Prohibitum

A More Serious Lesson to be Derived from This:

You are on your own! Do not rely on the people around you! This is not true only for police officers. I have seen it happen even when a little old lady is getting her hip broken by an unarmed robber. Full grown men will not help.

You are on your own, or, in some cases, the crowd may even turn on you and help out the criminal.

Keep this in mind.

17. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

With an unarmed threating crowd at what point, if there is one, could you legally draw your weapon? I know many have the mindset that if you draw you are going to shoot, but in a situation where you have possibly 20 angry folks showing a weapon would/should cause them to think twice.

I am not saying I would do this, really I don't know, just looking for your perspective.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Way too fact-specific of a question to answer.

The law on when threatening deadly force is appropriate will be the same for a crowd as for an individual. Only the circumstance is different.

It really depends on what they are doing. Being "angry" is not justification for drawing a firearm and brandishing it.

Of course, open carry removes this element of "when should I show it" from the equation.

19. Bulldawg182

None of us really do know. But, when it's time to draw the weapon.....you'll know and no one here can tell you and no rule or law will stop you.

20. tace

tace New Member

Why don't we just come out and say it? The crowd wasn't assisting the officer because they are RACIST. If races of the ppl involved were reversed, Rev. Jesse would be out there protesting today.