Southern Hospitality on Atlanta Roads

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GM404, Oct 13, 2016.

1. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Just a little sarcasm in the title. Here's yet another good reason to have a dashcam. This happened (not to me) yesterday. The guy who was raging was apparently pissed at how he merged onto the highway. Not sure how else he would get on the highway with the traffic conditions. The time stamp is wrong, it was around 9'ish in the AM.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHHhuI1YAM&feature=share[/ame]

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

A PIT maneuver at 1:54 would have been perfect.

3. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

At 1:54, I absolutely would not have yielded an inch.

4. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZM0pagZB3I[/ame]

5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Hey that was ME!!!

Just kidding...

I drive that stretch every night after midnight, you get some real winners...
    Makes me want to get a dash cam now.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why is this one posted? To show us the driver of the car doing the filming obstinately drives in the far left lane even when he is not passing anybody?

7. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Obstinately. Good word. Not quite the one I would use to describe the behavior of the idiots who do that but appropriate nonetheless.

8. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Yeah, I wouldn't admit to riding around listening to that either.

9. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've had people do much worse to me than that on Georgia roads for far less. People that drive like that are truly terrible. I wonder what the legalities of a pit maneuver would have been? I guess you just still would have been the aggressor.

10. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I think if there is a reasonable way to avoid the collision, you would have to do so (or would be smart to do so). Doing a PIT on the guy would be making *you* the aggressor and just making things worse and at a minimum, the insurance folks will probably NOT pay your claim. Had it been me, I would have probably taken the exit to get away from the idiot.

Not only to mention, I stay away from I-85 and DeKalb county AT ALL COSTS. :)

I keep the audio turned off on my dashcam for this very reason. I will turn it on though if I am stopped by the police or I have a good reason to do so. Someone mentioned that it's not a bad idea to read off the plate number for audio recording just in case there is a glare or something similar blocking the visual of the plate.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  11. pml

pml Active Member

I don't like to play tag with cars. However, I will get on their left and lock them into the slow lane.

12. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

What pit maneuver? As observed on video, he attempted to hit me. I went to jam on the brakes but in the panicked rush I hit the accelerator by mistake. Opps....

13. EJR914

Hahaha

14. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I wouldve called the cops and presented the video

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If another driver does something stupid, even clearly illegal, that is about to cause an accident, Georgia law says you have a duty to attempt to avoid the accident. Yes you have to take steps to avoid the consequences of the other persons crime and idiocy .

However if the person's actions rise to the level of aggravated assault by vehicle, I think that you could P. I.T. them to Immediately end the threat by causing a more controlled crash of their vehicle and causing only a little damage to your vehicle.

Then you may be able to arrest them for aggravated assault, aggressive driving, etc.

Call it a citizens arrest ! (But you better be 100% right On the Facts, with witnesses or video backing you up.

16. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

If a person had this video and a license plate number, would the police do anything if they called later from home?

17. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

You aren't openly discussing criminal activities, are you?

:lol:

('Cause I think that's now a misdemeanor)

18. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

No, I don't think the police would do anything.
    They cannot arrest somebody for a misdemeanor offense that was not committed in their presence.
    Could they just issue a summons and tell the offender to show up in court later, and tell the victim / witness to show up on that same day and tell it to the judge? I think so. But it's not going to happen.

The police could also "take a report" and document the incident, and put it on file, for future use should that aggressive driver have another incident in the future. Perhaps the first incident would be useful to prove the second one, and increase the odds of getting a conviction for that second crime, even if the first one was never prosecuted on its own.

But the cops are not likely to do that, either.

19. EJR914

I'd say the guy in the videos actions may have risen to the level of aggravated assault by vehicle, what do you think?

20. EJR914

Nope, nothing. People get away with crimes everyday because of this fact.